beginner rider looking for spots in the bay area

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
wolfie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wolfie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:57 am

yeah.. we've actually got some shops around here that make freshwater surfboard that have more float....

what's the shorline like at Sherman?

If it's rocky I'm thinking about getting a helmet, being a newbie and all...

any thoughts?

wolfie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wolfie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:57 pm

thought it over some more.... helmet definitely wouldn't hurt... going to get one...

lacasaverde
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lacasaverde » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Smart idea. The levee is rock filled. The launch is full of blackberries (yummy this time of year, just pick above waist level!) and huge drift wood. Having been dragged up over the levee and down the otherside, it ain't an adventure I'm keen to repeat. Save travels.
It ain't easy being greene.

wolfie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wolfie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:59 am

thanks again guys....

I've arranged to bring an 8m Havoc along for the trip :mrgreen:

wolfie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wolfie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:29 am

hey guys,
forecast is looking a little light for Sherman thursday and friday... it's still a couple of days away so things could change... if anyone could make some backup plan suggestions based on the forecast i'd really appreciate it... I get done working around 3:30 on Wednesday (in San Jose) and need to be at the San Francisco airport around 9ish on Friday night. thanks again...

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:27 am

Come watch the Nationals and BIG AIR JUMP on friday.

GB
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:30 am

Your second best bet is third ave, which conveniently happened to be between san jose and the airport (closer to the airport).

wolfie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wolfie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:58 am

thanks for the help guys! Sherman was incredible! Nothing like 4 3-mile downwinders to improve your kite skills :)

Nat was cool as was the whole gang of people that were out there (mike, jon, etc...)

I was totally fine in the 5/3 steamer (even though the air temp was about 90) and mostly used my 14m C kite as the wind was fairly light.

One thing to note is that newbies doing this should consider using a board leash. I know there is danger associated with this so wearing a helmet with it is probably a good idea. I had a situation in which my board came off and I had trouble relaunching the kite (i was trying to launch it like I do my smaller kite, which was wrong). As I struggled to the kite up the board got further and further away from me. Luckily Nat was nearby and grabbed my board. You can't count on him to do this though as he's not always around....

Again, thanks for all of the help. Can't wait to get out there again!!