January Kite Surfing for Beginners

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
mountainpuddles
Joey
Joey
January Kite Surfing for Beginners

Post by mountainpuddles » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi my darling hubby and I are wanting to go away for ten days for kitesurfing lessons. Our plan would be to take three days of kitesurfing lessons every other day. We would love to check out Costa Rica, somewhere in the Carribean. Basically we are open but would like a reccommendation or two. Thanks, Becky

Tribaled
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tribaled » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:57 pm

I have a few suggestions for you check out kitewindsurf in Alameda , they head off to Costa Rica around November and Kitemastersout of La Ventana in Mexico.I also know of Airpadre in Texas that come highly reccomended.With regards to the Carib. ,I'd check out some East coast forums.
Good luck,
Bruce

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:35 pm

If you really want to learn to kite I highly reccommend La Ventana with lessons from Nat & Edge Kiteboarding.

It might not be quite as great as the Tropics but if you really want to learn this is the place and the way...

Costa Rica is wonderful but I don't know the Kite Lessons, Lake Arinal is great for wind but it can blow way too much (40 - 60mph) in Nov / Dec.
Don't go to the Carribian side, lots of crime & drugs.
Pacific side is wonderful but I don't know about the wind or kite lessons... Gret for surfing...

You might want to check out Cochay (spelling) off Venisuella but our government is at odds and I wouldn't reccommend it.

Barbados is great but I don't know about the lessons, check out Silver Sands... very nice.

So again, La Ventana would be the place for me, Stay at Baja Joes... the best if you don't have kids...
Rich "ATOM" Baum

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:53 pm

If you have visions of palm trees and warm tropical breezes, La Ventana is not the place to go in the winter.

Does your dream include wearing a full wetsuit (cold water plus jellyfish)? Or include other tourist activities other than kiting? If so, look elsewhere. If all you care about is wind, there's no better place.

Specifically, I think the site host here posted a review of his trip to Costa Rica last year via the folks at Kitewindsurf in Alameda. You can probably search the site to find it.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:51 pm

Paul,

I think you are being a little "hard" on Baja.
True it's not Maui or Cancun but there really is lots to do, the Baja desert has it own beauty, there are some wonderful day trips, the food is good and plenty of local resturants. The terain is perfect for some great Mt. Bikeing.

As far as the water, yes you normally go with a wet suit but on some days I went with a shorty.

I personally had no problem with jelly fish though I know some times of the year it can be problematic but not a deal breaker.

Hay, some people just can't get into it and others (like me and my wife) love it...

So go easy....
Rich "ATOM" Baum

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:34 pm

so am I gwtting thisright (sorry I smashed fingre)
Baja is cold!! Is that right??
L.m.g. (oouch!)

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:04 am

The air temp is warm to sometimes hot. The water temp is cool but I would not call it cold.

IWindsurf / Iktie has a sensor for La Ventana. I think the ave temp would be about 80 in the day, nights are nice too.
I know the water temp in Nov is much warmer ( no wet suit) than in Feb (Spring suit to Shorty)...

E Mail Joe & Angie / Baja Joes for all the answers http://www.bajajoe.com/

All in all its a very nice place. If you want a little more to do you go to Los Barelles just 1 hr. south.
Rich "ATOM" Baum

meteorbrain
Joey
Joey

Costa Rica at Playa Copal with lessons from Kitewindsurf

Post by meteorbrain » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 pm

I spent three weeks with the Alameda crew last year, it was great! La Ventana has more socially going on, but Costa Rica has better wind and natural beauty.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:01 pm

you neglected to mention WHEN you were planning on going. this makes a big difference as you'd be hard pressed to find a place that blows year round.

baja is good in winter, but come june, a lot of the caribbean starts to blow. i took a couple beginners to cabarete and they had a blast. we stayed at the extreme hotel. the ocean was warmer than the pool. it was nice. pretty crowded too, but there's a reason everyone goes there to kite (it's windy and warm)
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:38 pm

While it's far, Vietnam has consistent winds and the most amazing beaches you can imagine. Mui Ne Bay is my recommendation. Venezuela is also good, but the wind can be offshore so not good for learning :)
Brazil, another awesome place to learn, beautiful beaches and consistent wind, but the season doesn't start until July...