Time to go on a kiteboarding trip

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Proparoo
Regular
Regular
Time to go on a kiteboarding trip

Post by Proparoo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:04 am

Well the season is drawing to a close and we are thinking of going on a trip to some tropical destination for some kiteboarding and windsurfing.

Brazil, Mexico, Caribian, Hawaii, Europe?

We have travled all over the world but now things are a little different, we now have kids... 5 and 6 yrs old.

We are thinking of a trip next Dec 23 - Jan 7 or Feb 19 - 23 or April 2 - 6...

We went to La Ventana last Feb. and had a great time, but to be honest, the water was too cold and the sand to rough for our kids, plus there was not that much for them to do...

We want good wind, great lodgeing, windsurfing equipment to rent, warm water and soft sand... it wold also be great if there was stuff for the kiddies...
We don't mind roughing it a little but we would at least like good clean lodgeing with some place to eat.

So if you have any suggestions or info. please pass it along...

Thanks
Rich "ATOM" Baum

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:48 am

What, Rich? You mean a place where there's more to do than kite and drink beer?
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:24 pm

I already got my ticket and will heading to Brazil (Combuco) this nov from the 15-30th. I've talked to some ppl that went there last year and they all said that the wind is awesome there and cost for room and food are reasonable.

If anyone else is interested in going around the same dates, let me know as it will be cool to hang out with folks for the bayarea.

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:54 pm

I think some pple are going there by Kite Adventure trip so they may be traveling around kite spots. Are you just going to stay in Combuco only? Can you email me later for more specifics??? Thanks!

kelelia123
Joey
Joey

Post by kelelia123 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:24 pm

Hey Clint! you'll have an awesome time!

Definitely doing it the right way. Everytime i've travelled internationally to kiteboard, i've always just winged it, including Brazil.... there's no question that you'll meet tons of friendly kiters and local shops.

I usually secure a couple of days accomodation at a local hotel and then take the time to talk to other kiters on their recommendations and what you're looking for (close to the kite beach and/or close to nightlife etc) it sure beats getting stuck in a less than ideal kiting location and the hotel holding your money.

You can arrange one-day, or multi-day kite safaris through local shops/schools at a MUCH more reaonable price than through these 'full-service' kite tour companies and you can do it on your own time schedule.

If you prefer to do the package tour, be sure to price compare what you get. There's a wide range of prices, with the more expensive ones not including meals!?!?! These tour companies make it sound like you won't get the real experience without them, which is BS. It's not that hard to DIY and have a real adventure.

There are lots of reputable (IKO certified) schools that are a great resource and most importantly they are a LOCAL presence. It's especially easy in Brazil since it has now become the "IN" place to go kite/windsurf and tourism has responded to this.

Have an awesome time!

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:21 am

Thanks for the advice! I'm already excited for this trip. I've been doing some reseach too on places to stay and where to go and definitely be doing what you've suggested. It should be easy to hookup with cool folks down there for downwinders, trip to prea and jeri too.

I too prefer to travel solo or with a small group on longer trips since it's more flexible. If I feel like stay longer in place, there's no need to get a group consensus. I've been everywhere too, so traveling solo is not a problem for me and pretty much know the in's and outs. If you're not used to travelling internationally then it's better to go with a tour group/company just for safety reasons alone.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:47 pm

I have just been in tough with Vela regarding going to Margarita in Feb.

Does anyone have experience with Margarita?

Seems like high wind, kiteing, windsurfing, stuff for the kids to do, good rooms, resturants and a large city close by.

Any input?

Thanks
Rich "ATOM" Baum

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:31 pm

I just heard from my friend about this, if you visit here:

http://www.windgirls.com/

On a Travel section, you see a list of potential kiting destination for you, which also include some info to Ishigaki, Japan where I somehow end up going every year...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Try N.Z. or Oz, rent a van and travel...
Lim

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:20 am

kelelia123 wrote:
You can arrange one-day, or multi-day kite safaris through local shops/schools at a MUCH more reaonable price than through these 'full-service' kite tour companies and you can do it on your own time schedule.

If you prefer to do the package tour, be sure to price compare what you get. There's a wide range of prices, with the more expensive ones not including meals!?!?! These tour companies make it sound like you won't get the real experience without them, which is BS. It's not that hard to DIY and have a real adventure.
While I agree that you CAN do it yourself and see these spots if you have 2-3 weeks, but honestly, the language barrier in Brazil is enough to make you want to have a guide who speaks Portuguese. We lived in Brazil for 6 months while setting up Kite Adventures last year and I'll tell ya, it's NOT as easy as some people think. Our last tour encountered boulders in the road that prevented them from passing through the last town before Prea, now had some Gringos been there and try to talk their way getting around the rocks, I doubt it would have happened. Alberto used his native ways and "negotiations" & got the guys to move the boulders. It's not just that we provide a "kite vacation" but rather an experience. We've had 15 people down already this season and the first thing they say is about their experience with Alberto down in Brazil:
"WOW, Alberto is amazing, the wind is awesome, the tour is incredible."

It's really not even that much more expensive if you were to do it yourself. The 4x4s require you to leave an open credit card down and there have been many scandals where people have been taken advantage of in this capacity.

I know many people that have done it themselves and didn't mind roughing it or planning as they go, but seriously for a week or 10 days, do you really want to bother with finding out where you're going next? Or would you rather spend 8 hours doing downwinders knowing who and where you'll be picked up.

Most of the other companies doing this in Brazil are solely truck companies looking to fill their trucks and give you guys "free days" but what happens when the tide changes or you guys break a kite line? They have no idea what to do...

In my experience with traveling (and I've done a lot!) you pay for what you get, a premium service goes that extra mile. If you don't believe me, talk to some of the guys that came down last year, Chad, Byron and Tom...

What companies include meals? We go to awesome hot spots where people have the variety of choosing what to eat. Food's always the most amazing part of traveling and that's why it's an option...