Long Beach, Seal Beach and Huntington Beaches

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
charlieoneseven
Long Beach, Seal Beach and Huntington Beaches

Post by charlieoneseven » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:15 pm

My home town of Huntington Beach is the farthest south I have been kiting we set out on the narrow beach north of the pier 14th to 17th street is the spot off PCH, the wind is usually on shore to side shore recommended for kitesurfing and experts only. Main street Huntington Beach just had a makeover in the last 5 years and houses great shopping and dinning right on main street off PCH with Rubys at the end of the pier. North of that is Sunset beach a little more west facing but smaller waves. Park at Warner ave and PCH anywhere in the parking lots between the houses there are plenty of walkways to the sand windward of the houses. At the north end of that lot is The Harbor House Cafe facing PCH with great food with movie nostalga posters and a wall of autographed 8 by 10's on the patio of Hollywoods best actors from the past. Further north is Seal Beach Parking is at the end of first street but there are lots of places to shop and eat at main street this a better spot for experts and more wave riding if it is south swell but the pier and river mouth may offer some heavy surf and plenty of surfers to contend with. Left turn off of PCH leaving seal beach onto 2nd street will take you over 2 bridges into Belmont Shore and Naples where my wife would like me to drop her off while I hit the water with the best shopping and food in the area. Make a left turn as soon as you see the bay on the left at the first or second light but watch out there are a lot of one way streets down that way, drive to Ocean Blvd and you'll see the spot across the street. The beach is the widest so there is ample room to inflate and unwind lines. ^The parking lots on the beach side of Ocean blvd. are prefered to street parking and never park in the housing track on the north side of Ocean unless your desprate to walk further and a paralell parking wiz. Most training and beginners sail from Belmont shore and have shelter from waves behind a breakwater called the pencil by some kiteboarders. With a shop in each cities except seal beach (I think they only have one line kites) it easy to get a spare part of new gear. With the winds usually 5 to 20 mph we tend to sail our largest kites year round and keep one stashed for 22+ mph conditions we get a few days of.
Attachments
kites on the water1.JPG
Belmont Shore, Ca. 2/26/05
kites on the water1.JPG (26.93KiB)Viewed 2941 times