Sattelite DSL - does anybody have experience with it?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sattelite DSL - does anybody have experience with it?

Post by kitechick » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:05 pm

Hi kiters,

I am dreaming of taking my work out to kite places, perhaps even live there when the wind blows. Most of what I need is a phone and high speed internet. Sattelite DSL seems to be a possiblity to get high speed internet connection wherever you can find a southern sky to point your dish to.

But I also heard that the perfomance is not sooo god and working with delays. Also it is limited to the US. Did anyone of you try it? Do you have experienced sattelite DSL? I would not just need it for email but also for other applications which require pretty much real time connection (Webex, Live meeting, Netmeeting, Citrix type conections into hosted applications, terminal server etc.). What are the chances that this will work? If you have a satetlite DSL - may I try and hook up my laptop to check?
Any other ideas? Is anyone here who has a wireles internet subscription like with Surfline? Please share your experiences, that would be cool
...if THAT works that would be pretty neat.

Thanks! - Sylvia

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:45 pm

Obviously you are going to need reliable high-speed internet access with real-time connectivity so that would certainly impact your chioce of where to live. I don't know anything about satellite dsl access, but do know that many great places to live and kite are in areas that may have no better than a dial-up connection.

Maui has high-speed internet access and is a great, although somewhat expensive place to live (but not neccessarily so by our standards here in the Bay Area) and has a lot of awesome wind year round. Living there wouldn't be ideal in many other aspects though, I guess it all depends on what you need and want to get out of where you live. Wind would be one requirement wouldn't it? O:)

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:23 pm

I don't have the sattilite system but I have researched it a great deal. To get the system that would fully support your needs you are looking at around $20,000 but with this system you can also sell your connection as a wireless access point so it could have a return on investment. Check out www.directway.com. The only issue is you can't really let them know if you move the service around. By law they are not alowud to let you have a mobil internet system via satilite. It is an FCC thing. Another alternative is a Verizon phone with express net. Right now it is only 128k but it is plenty fast for using terminal server. I have used it from the beach many times to support servers. Not DSL but they are upgrading to broadband in many metropolitan areas. Hope this helps. I have thought f the same thing but I have too much on site work so I can't work remotely as much as I would like. Let me know if it works out for you. I will be jelous though. :P

kitechick
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitechick » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:54 pm

Cool, Thanks a lot for all the detailed information and interesting suggestions. Right now I am lucky and am able to work from a home office most of the time plus a few onsite visits here and there. So the idea to have a home office on Sherman island is tempting....I'll keep you posted if this is making progress. O:)

Cheers! - Sylvia

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:02 pm

kitechick wrote:Cool, Thanks a lot for all the detailed information and interesting suggestions. Right now I am lucky and am able to work from a home office most of the time plus a few onsite visits here and there. So the idea to have a home office on Sherman island is tempting....I'll keep you posted if this is making progress. O:)

Cheers! - Sylvia
My verizon phone works quite well from there on the internet. Once they upgrade to broadband on the phones it should be completly doable. We will have to wait and see. If you do decide to do it you have to spoil us all with a live web cam from Sherman. It is only fair!!