Foiling through Baja

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
Foiling through Baja

Post by Captain John » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:36 am

http://kitethebay.com/blog/

Ever since foiling has become my favorite craft to ride, it has opened up new kiting venue options. It's become a sight-seeing venture to get out at spots where motor crafts are usually required and the wind strong enough for only a pleasure sailing cruiser. When foiling, you can cover long distances in a short amount of time and can head out on your own schedule. It's a great way to get away from the tourist crowds and take in the moment from an extra special point of view.

The bay in Cabo is normally busy with touring sailing/motor boats, jet-skis, para-sailing, cruise ships, fishing charters...etc. The wind rarely reaches above 10mph, making the bay a rarely kiteable spot. The spring break atmosphere filled the beach resorts giving the bay a stage-like presence awaiting a performance. It was so warm and sunny with so little breeze that minimal windchill occurred.
When I went out, my 15m kite felt secure enough to allow for confident transitions and exploring the bay out even beyond Lands End. I was carful not ride into wind-blocked areas, like next to the cruise ship or too close to the Arch. I came in as the wind was dropping and had to loop my kite a few times to get pulled towards the beach.

The sight of the Cabo Arch was definitely the highlight! How many times have you seen it in travel mags and vacation scenes? I even had a bonus moment with a whale surfacing then diving, flipping its tail just before disappearing! The magical moment had turned extraordinary!
Attachments
cabo arch.jpg
cabo arch.jpg (71.99KiB)Viewed 4887 times
cabo cruiseship.jpg
cabo cruiseship.jpg (70.55KiB)Viewed 4887 times
cabo whale.jpg
cabo whale.jpg (80.1KiB)Viewed 4887 times
KiteTheBay.com

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Foiling through Baja

Post by Loscocco » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:19 pm

What next.. La Paz to Cabo Downwinder?
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by Captain John » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:14 am

Nope, that's already been done! Xantos, Gabor, Fred and Misael went for it the other day-83miles, about 5hrs! Definitely the first to go that distance down here. And I hear the Cerralvo Race is on for La Ventana next season! --OMG, it's gonna be insane with the foilz!!!
KiteTheBay.com

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 pm

racing around the island???
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com