Kite Vacation Spot?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Yoda
Resident
Resident
Re: Kite Vacation Spot?

Post by Yoda » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Yoda wrote:Great point about the Spring Break period. It starts on February 28th through March this year.
Fyi... Mexico's Spring Break (aka Semana Santa) starts on March 30th and generally lasts for two weeks. I got caught up in this event during my trip to SPI one year. Stupid crowded!!!
victor wrote:winter storms in the northeast blow down the east coast of florida pretty regularly according to the locals.
I'm finding conflicting info online about Florida in the winter months. Some say it's great, some say it's hit and miss. I may just have to wing it and go find out for my self.

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:02 pm

Puerto Rico. I'm heading there next week.

Aloha
Old School
Old School

Post by Aloha » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:48 pm

I've done a few winters in different spots in Florida as a majority of my family lives there and can weigh in a bit here. Florida can be sort of a battleground all winter of pressure systems as storms move Northeast vs. tradewinds coming from the east through the caribbean (and generally flowing southwest across the state)

What it does is create a divide that dynamically moves up and down the state where NORTH of the line the east coast will be getting off-shore, west coast on-shore and SOUTH of the divide is vice versa.

Typically if you go DEEP in South Florida the tradewinds are just sort of parked there all winter, the keys are GREAT for that albeit few spots to ride without a boat (although the one spot there is, is like skimmy kiteboarding heaven). If you're down there to do the tradewind thing remember it's a lot like Hawai'i tradewinds: consistent, light, but kiteable with a big kite. I don't know what the Miami beach kite rules are these days but I've kited there and it is paradise, it reminded me of the time I kited Waikiki on a freak Kona - you're in the American tropics, sun waning behind the Miami deco, palm trees blowing, kite in hand - living the dream

If you're looking to WaPaH the bag out of crossed up peaks that is usually only going to happen during a transitional weather event that spikes the wind into small kite weather. If you're lucky to be on the right coast (west vs. east) in the right half (north vs. south) at the right time for that, the wind swell they get is insanely playful, fun, and forgiving (definitely not like making a mistake at OB lol). Also as soon as you clear the Bahamas in terms of latitude (as you head north) the swell gets much better, it's similar to difference of riding the central Cal coast vs. Santa Monica bay - There are still waves, but it is being buffered by off-shore islands.

There are a few "point" type spots that expand your riding days because the points can be rode either easterly or westerly. If anyone ever has a specific destination in the sunshine state in mind PM me and I'm happy to tell you what I know. Cheers

mighty
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mighty » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 pm

mighty wrote:Puerto Rico. I'm heading there next week.
Kind of a bust, because wind. Got 2 1/2 days out of 8. I brought a 7M and a 9M. If I had brought an 12M I would have gotten a couple more days. But everyone's been saying the wind's been bad this year all around. THAT said, the reef outside of San Juan and Shacks beach were fun as hell - if there had been wind, it would have been epic because the setup out there for waves is great. It's cheap to get there on AA from SFO (less than Hawaii). Rental cars are cheap. Your phone just works. Etc.