Los Barriles/La Ventana: Baja 2014/15

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Kyle
Regular
Regular
Los Barriles/La Ventana: Baja 2014/15

Post by Kyle » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:21 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to share a quick video of our recent trip to Baja. We had a wonderful time between Los Barriles and La Ventana... each very different from each other but equally special. I can't emphasize enough how easy this trip is, so if you're on the fence about making your first kite trip this winter don't hesitate!

http://vimeo.com/113354427[/video]

We began our trip at Exotikite in Los Barriles. Megan can help organize airport shuttles, and she has lodging right on the beach. After a few days of El Norte wind, the swell really picks up. I didn't bring a directional, but she rented me one for the days I really needed it:) The town has a few great little restaurants, and the studios have kitchens if you prefer that route. It was windy every day we were there.

In La Ventana we stayed with Tim at Palapas. He took such good care of us, with amazing breakfasts and mid-session lunches, included in the room cost. He has a new chef who is absolutely amazing, honestly the best thanksgiving dinner I have ever had. You can eat dinner at Palapas or scooter/ATV/drive into one of the few restaurants in neighboring El Sargento. Eating out is quite a bit cheaper than in Los Barriles. La Ventana gets a bit stronger wind, and there is a great little reef off of Palapas with a nice break on big days. On light days, you can snorkel it:)

We'll be back again next Thanksgiving, and hope to see more Bay Area kiters!

brosefanie
Joey
Joey

Re: Los Barriles/La Ventana: Baja 2014/15

Post by brosefanie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:41 pm

^ I second this! just made my first LV trip last week and had 5 solid days of kiting (we must have been there at the same time!) Flew into SJD, rented a car, and stayed at Baja Joe's. It's a scenic 2.5-hr drive to the most wonderful place on earth |}{+ MJ0_
Trying to carve out some vacation for Feb so I can go again....

laureleastman
Joey
Joey

Post by laureleastman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 am

Peter Pan loves Baja!

cghorizon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cghorizon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:54 am

brosefanie wrote:^ I second this! just made my first LV trip last week and had 5 solid days of kiting (we must have been there at the same time!) Flew into SJD, rented a car, and stayed at Baja Joe's. It's a scenic 2.5-hr drive to the most wonderful place on earth |}{+ MJ0_
Trying to carve out some vacation for Feb so I can go again....
Sounds like I was there at the same time as well- also my first time to La Ventana!

I posted some photos from the trip on my blog:

http://chriswernerphotography.com/blog/ ... ing-photos

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rakky » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:01 pm

Looking for some info on those who travel frequently to Baja.

1: Better to fly direct to Cabo, and then take a shuttle?
2: If only for 4 days, Los Barriles or La Ventana?
3: Do the hotels arrange transportation?
4: Anyone rent kites/gear to keep it light for travel, or better to take the stuff (kites, board, foil....)
5: Seems Exokite is the place to be in Las Barriles. In Ventana, any preference? Palapas?
6: When does the Baja wind season end??

Planning a quick trip end of January and trying to get the most out of it.
Thanks for any info

Kyle
Regular
Regular

Post by Kyle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:15 am

Hey Rakky, to answer some of your questions:

1) Fly to Cabo if you're doing LB, La Paz if you're going to LV. You can fly to Cabo if you're going to LV, but it will be a 2 hour drive vs. 45 minute to LB. I would recommend the shuttle, because the rental car lines can be long and when they hit you with an insurance fee that costs 3x the rental price it is not a nice way to start your vacation.

2) 4 days is plenty of time to kite. I usually find I need a rest day anyway after kiting 4 days in a row in the off-season:) La Ventana typically has stronger winds, and depending on your gear can sometimes be citable when LB is too light. But LB is nice because it's so close to the airport. You can kite your arrival and departure day depending on flight timing.

3) I've rented directionals at Palapas and Captain Kirks when the swell was good. You don't have to be staying at either, schools/resorts are happy to rent idle gear.

4) Keep in mind that Lord of the Wind event is Jan 17-22, which takes place in both LV and LB. This may affect availability. Palapas is a major sponsor, and I think Exotikite is too now.

5) Season usually goes through March/April, so you've got plenty of time! Have fun, BAK
3) Most hotels/kite resorts will help you organize transportation. Typically it's 3rd party, but they can get you a good rate and coordinate with the driver.

halibut
Contributor
Contributor

Post by halibut » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:59 am

Just got back from two and a half fantastic weeks in La Ventana. Flew to Cabo (cheapest with most availability) and pre booked a shuttle with Samuel Lucero turissaven@hotmail.com to La Ventana. He is super reliable, friendly and convenient. I was expecting to pay $120 each way but in fact we had multiple passengers going to and from so actual costs were $55/$45. BTW, in my previous 3 trips I'd always rented a car. No more. The shuttle is much cheaper and more convenient (depending on the length of your stay.) I walked everywhere and it was no problem.

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rakky » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Thanks fellas. Good info
Looks like Oakland does not have direct flights to Cabo. SFO does.