Florida keys

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
hstreet
Joey
Joey
Florida keys

Post by hstreet » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:25 am

Hi All, does anyone have any information on kiteboarding in Florida Keys? Pictures on the internet look amazing, but I can't seem to find any testimonials online. Like - is it a good place to kite? Where are the best kiting locations? Are they easy to find? Where should I stay? Should I go all the way to Key West? If so, should I drive or fly from Miami airport? Are sharks a big problem in late November/early December? Does anyone have a favorite company for downwinders?
Thank you so much!
Hilary

calikites
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Florida keys

Post by calikites » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:33 am

There is riding all the way down the keys. Most notably Miami, Islamorada, and finally Key West. In my experience Key West is definitely the best spot in Florida as far as consistent winds are concerned. Down winders in Key West can be really fun. For more info on kiting Key West you should contact Paul Menta at The Kitehouse:

http://www.thekitehouse.com/key_west.php

PM me if you need more info.

Brian

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Florida keys

Post by etxxz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Hilary,

You'll want a shorty for kiting that time of the year. Don't think you'll be getting in super warm waters..

spots and info on them:
http://www.kiteboardingflorida.com/Kite ... orida.html

I used to kite in ft. lauderdale and Boca Raton a lot.. as i am from there. In short, every beach is kiteable ie. every inch of coastline. Ask the lifeguard from where you can launch, towers everywhere... except the keys...

Kiting the keys is meh to be honest. Unless you can get in on the west side of the keys for glassy flat water (offshore, you'll need boat support) or charter a boat to some sand flats (already talking 4hr drive south of miami to Key West) then its all meh, at most.

Unbeknownst to tourists, there are NO beaches in the keys. What say you. You heard right. There are little chunks of quasi-accessible sand, some couple of feet wide (on low tide haha) where you can pump up. You'll need to drift launch or have someone help you get the kite in the wind and not on the rocks.

If it was me, i'd kite Miami or Ft. laudy areas. Crandon park is fun and there's a way to kite it without paying the parking fee. Its nice there inside the Key Biscayne (not formally a "key"). Fun thing about FL is that short of it being a East wind, you can kite it. From the north or south means downwinders. West is usually a straight on beach wind. Choppy oceans, gusty and intermittent storm winds etc etc. Not even close to kiting in the bay : )

When i got visit family there now kiting is rarely part of my plan.... but somehow still always do 3/4 of the days i'm there Lo)%

Have fun.