Peru vs Brazil in December

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Rakky
Contributor
Contributor
Peru vs Brazil in December

Post by Rakky » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Looking for some input on travel in December, for good kiting and surfing. I was thinking Mancora vs Brazil (Ceara or Florianopolis). Prefer warm water, good wind for kiting, and surfing etc - water sports.
Any other suggestions are welcome.
I went to La Ventana couple of years ago in November, and had 2 out of 5 days of wind - so am not too keen on spending a whole month there. Maui's not in season for kiting.

nutjob
Joey
Joey

Re: Peru vs Brazil in December

Post by nutjob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Kite season in Peru ends in November. Surf should be good though.

loserdavies
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by loserdavies » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:55 am

Agreed just got back yesterday from Mancora. I got 8 out of 10 days but in Dec you will be lucky to find wind. Go to Brazil

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:59 pm

if your mind is set on south america, Isla Margarita (Venezuela) during "winter". Both wind AND surf season Dec - April. In general that's the wind season for the entire caribbean and SE USA as well.

Brazil will be right ON the surf season in dec, but at the very very end of its wind season so maaybe another good choice. Either destination will be a lot of fun outside of the water too, and that counts big time.

....says a venezuelan that's never been to margarita, but mother grandmother grandmother-in-law and now even daughter are named Margarita, you can guess why... _>:< lets go together jajaja!

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rakky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks for the info. Main reason is for kiting - and am open to other international places. I have some time off and want to make the most for kiting, with surf as a close second.

etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by etxxz » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:15 pm

just saying there are quite a few other countries in south america worth visitng other than those becoming overpriced because of a recent nomination of a world wonder..

besides, you can not get 3x the "official" exchange rate in any other country but this one. dollar goes a extra extra extra long way there.. assuming you're not robbed, kidnapped, or coerced by the military at the airport or random checkpoints to surrender all your belongings. Other than that, you're good. Woman are beautiful. Beaches and water are warm. Beer is cheap. Gasoline is free. Wind in excess.

*also one of the top 10 kiting places.. aheem.

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rakky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks for the great sell. I'll definitely put that on my list - hopefully won't get robbed. That can happen anywhere though.

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:00 pm

I spent Oct-Dec in Brazil a few years ago. Note that Brazil is all about flat water up north so if you are looking for waves no dice. Peru i hear is badass-a buddy just got back and showed me weeks on end pics and videos of him surfing in the am and kiting the same wave in the pm.

Brazil is way expensive to fly to these days also.

Rakky
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rakky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks Bryan. I read your previous trip blog. Wonder if Florianopolis is the choice. Peru sounds great, but maybe end of wind season. Isla Margarita sounds good too.

gatorjos
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gatorjos » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 pm

Go to Brazil!!!

I hear they kept the MIA-FOR flight open after the world cup (TAM?) so that would reduce the travel pain. Ceará is not the most awesome spot. kinda quiet town and choppy water. Wind is guaranteed in December so don't worry about that. There's so many other spots. Just beware that some of lagoas are pretty crowded. I spent most my time in Jeri and loved it.
Recovering kitebum
Travel blog at:
http://21stcenturyhobo.com