Costa Rica Arrival

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Oliver
Costa Rica Arrival

Post by Oliver » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:20 pm

Hey guys,

Got into CR last night, after a weary day of travel, Jeff and Emily picked me up at the airport at took me to the Kitehouse. Today brought a morning and afternoon session on a 9m and 11m and it's not too shabby!

We're going to the restaurant tonight where I might get some crap for repeatedly jumping too close to the beach toward the end of this afternoons session. My bad. :roll:

Glad to hear some of you got some at Alameda Friday!

Cheers,
Oliver

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:06 am

Yes. CR must be much nicer and much warmer but Alameda was fun today and yesterday. I got a 2 hour session yesterday and a 4 hour session today. It was wet and cold but I was not complaining. I had a grin the whole time. I have always enjoyed sports more in the most extream situations. For example I always enjoyed snowboarding in blizzards. It was much more of an adventure and an accomplishment. I have to say I am still grinning about this weekend. Maybe more tommorow so i have to get to sleep so I can get up and hit it agin. =D>

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:58 am

Most excellent! I know a little cold and rain wont stop many of you, I'm just glad there's some wind for you guys there, even if it's stormy.

This place here is a lot of fun. The total poulation of the area is something like 80 and there's just one restaurant here, run by an Austrian guy named Ulf. The foods good, inexpensive and the sodas and beer are self-serve. You eat with everyone else in a family style atmosphere, it's pretty cool.

I've never been anywhere where it's windy all the time, day and night. Right now, it's blowing 40 or so, and I might go out on a 7m, or just wait a bit until it mellows out a little bit.

Ollie

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:04 pm

Any chance you can post some pictures?

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:33 pm

Yes, I'd like to able to post some pictures, but they've got a slow dialup connection and I didn't bring the cable for my camera with me. I'll be sure to post some upon return, though...

After breakfast, I did go out on a 7m and was totally overpowered. On a 7m. Literally borderline out of control and going back upwind was just not possible. I managed to come in downwind about 200 yards and around the point where there's a wind shadow. It's still pretty windy and it will probably back off in a bit for a good afternoon session on a 7 or 9. Looking out over the water from house, it's so lit up it looks like snow on the water! It's probably been averaging 40 gusting at times to 50 all day! Good time to chill out, grab a book and then take about an hour to untangle my lines after having pulled my safety coming in earlier. The rollers and swell were big and the wind so incredibly strong, it was kind of crazy.

Of course, Jeff claimed that it was kitable for him on his 6.5m Nitro and he probably wouldn't even have to pull his depower strap. So I told him to go pump up and show us how it's done and he replied, "Well, I'm not going to go out there and kite just to prove a point." You make the call, but I wasn't buying it. They all split to go to Witches to check out the surf, about 45 mminutes or an hour away...

roque
Joey
Joey

Post by roque » Mon May 09, 2005 11:40 am

Hello oliver, my name is rodrigo, I live in cancun. i want to buy the wingwing kites, I'm arriving to san francisco on saturday14th late at night. I want to know if you can help me ot trying out those kites, and where can i meet you.

I will only be in sanfrancisco for five days, until thursday night (19th) so what should i do, shoul i order the kites since now or can i wait till i get there, try them out and still have time to buy them and recieve them on time.

I'll will appreciate very, very much if you can contact me as soon as possible.

Best regard's .....Rodrigo.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon May 09, 2005 12:40 pm

roque wrote:Hello oliver, my name is rodrigo, I live in cancun. i want to buy the wingwing kites, I'm arriving to san francisco on saturday14th late at night. I want to know if you can help me ot trying out those kites, and where can i meet you.

I will only be in sanfrancisco for five days, until thursday night (19th) so what should i do, shoul i order the kites since now or can i wait till i get there, try them out and still have time to buy them and recieve them on time.

I'll will appreciate very, very much if you can contact me as soon as possible.

Best regard's .....Rodrigo.
Hey Rodrigo,

You got the right Ollie, but that seems to be a guest account he logged in with.

Ollie is the administrator of this site and logs in as "BayAreaKite". If you look through the forums, you will find a ton with him as either the author or last to respond. I'm sure he will respond to your previous posting next time he logs in, but you may want to send him a PM direct (click the "PM" under one of his posts, or follow the link from his profile).

Good choice with the WW. I've been very interested in them, and got a chance to fly one at a recent demo for a few seconds (before I freaked out about dropping the kite in the light winds). Hope you like them.

Cheers,
Josh