Traveling with Gear

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
g00mbs
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Traveling with Gear

Post by g00mbs » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Hey,

I was just in Taiwan and did some kiting there. Rented gear from a local club. I plan to post a separate thread on my Taiwan experience in this forum, as I couldn't really find much info previously.

I'm considering getting a large bag to fit surfboards and a TT. For those of you that travel with gear, I have some questions.

There are some bags out there that fit surfboards and TTs. Would you trust the airline with your surfboard in a bag with all your kites, etc? I'm looking for people that have both good and bad experiences. When I was in Taiwan, one of the guys brought a surfboard from France. It ended up getting damaged in transit and he had it repaired in Taiwan.

Then there is the TT golf bag. I'm guessing it will fool some airlines and destinations but not all. For instance, going to places (such as Taiwan) which are not known to be a Kiting hot spot, it would probably work. I am also from the midwest and plan to take gear back out when visiting family. I believe the golf bag would work in that situation as well. Going to Maui or Baja, I assume they are wise to the golf/kite bag and will charge you if they peek inside.

Feel free to share any experiences with the golf/kite bags as well.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Red_Element_Andy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Traveling with Gear

Post by Red_Element_Andy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 pm

While I can't speak to the directional boards, in my experience with a golf bag I have *never* been charged. I've flown to the 'super-popular' kite spots in Hawaii, Dominican Republic, Brazil ... all with my Kite-gear and not had any problems.

About half the time they ask what is in the bag and I say 'golf equipment' - and every single time I open it on the receiving end to find a little note from the TSA that they looked in the bag.

Nonetheless the gate agents don't have permission to look in the bag, while it's TSA's responsibility to be sure hazardous/dangerous materials aren't checked. TSA could care less that we are using a loophole to check our goofy looking gear. :)

Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Traveling with Gear

Post by Frappes » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:37 pm

I have also never been charged extra for my golf bag traveling to Maui & Brazil. Just make sure it isn't overweight.