Maui trip booked!

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Maui trip booked!

Post by Col.kiteman » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:38 am

I have a 136 wainman joke on the island ur more than welcome to use. I have a small storage unit. Avoid the baggage fees. Hawaiian has been ok on golf bags in oak, but i got dinged 100 bucks for having a board the last 2 trips at (ogg) kahului. Id be open to letting u use a 5'9" wainman magnum too if u bring it out there and leave it in the storage unit. Ill be there in december.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:09 am

You're stoked - Maui is going to be awesome. Everything buckidge said is good info. You'll be able to kite a few days. I've been there in late October and November and have always been able to do some kiting. Hope you have a great trip!

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Col.kiteman wrote:I have a 136 wainman joke on the island ur more than welcome to use. I have a small storage unit. Avoid the baggage fees. Hawaiian has been ok on golf bags in oak, but i got dinged 100 bucks for having a board the last 2 trips at (ogg) kahului. Id be open to letting u use a 5'9" wainman magnum too if u bring it out there and leave it in the storage unit. Ill be there in december.
Wow! Thank you so much for the offer to borrow the joker, heard several great things about that board on this forum. I'll definitely let you know if I'll be able to bring the magnum over as well; I'd love to have a surfboard to ride.
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

Col.kiteman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Col.kiteman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Yea. Its amazing. Everything its craked up to be. The most awkward landings can be landed with ease (no bs or talking up a brand, see any used ones for sale? explains a lot.)No disappointment garunteed. Lemme know. Send me a pm or email if ur interested. Its what the community should be about. A little more aloha spirit, a little less negativity. By the way, if i didnt say before, the storage unit is in kihei. Some good snorkel gear in there too, as well as some boogie boards if u have kids. More than welcome. If u are into the mule thing, u can even take a 5m bunny, and a 6.25 gypsy (wainman) if u leave them there. Probably wont need the 5 that time of year but ya never know. Id rather see people use the stuff instead of just pay to let it all collect dust. Havent been there since february. ;-(

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 pm

A few days away and the wind forecasts have made a sudden reversal from the weak sub-teens for this weekend, into some high teens to 20's! Mahalo nui loa to Dan for the opportunity to borrow his Joker out there, I can't wait to give that board a try.

After reviewing some videos, I managed to pack down my 9m yesterday to about the size of a flattened loaf of bread, then wrapped in a plastic bag and duct taped to hold the compression. Also finally got to test my cabrinha bar with my bandit kites, and everything seemed to work well except for a need to tune and make stronger pigtails. Punching out actually seemed to work even better than the F-One bar!

I was hoping someone could help clarify the setup on this bar (2010 powerdrive IDS) and make sure I'm connecting everything right. So the quick release here doesn't disconnect the chicken loop and the second quick release located on the chicken loop will completely disconnect you from the kite, leaving you with just a loop. So my safety leash goes on the metal clip under QR1, and keeps you from losing your kite for unhooked or accidentally unhooking?
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein