Tahiti and French Polynesia Kite Trip

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
edge_kiteboarding
Joey
Joey
Tahiti and French Polynesia Kite Trip

Post by edge_kiteboarding » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:34 am

Think warm water windy and wavy.
Thinking Tahiti in Late September.
Looking for anyone with first hand experience or even solid rumors traveling there that can fill me in on the details where it's best and where to stay. Interested in Tahiti, Fukerava, Bora Bora or any of the Islands.
Post here or contact me directly @
(775) 721-1132 or
Edgekiteboarding@yahoo.com
Any one interested?

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 am

Friend of mine will be there for a honeymoon end of August.

Happy to report on his findings - he's a kiter and bringing gear - but it could be too late for ya.

John Doe
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tahiti and French Polynesia Kite Trip

Post by John Doe » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Been 3x & I hate to break it to you but it ain't that great for kiting waves. Basically all the reefs there are dry, meaning they come right up to the waterline, meaning you have to know what you're doing if you try riding waves. There aren't a lot of beaches so there's some pretty sketchy launches.

Surf that time of year is largely south swell only, which means big & gnarly, i.e. not user friendly.

If you like cruising flat water you'll love it. Watch out for the coral as it can come right up to waterline in the middle of the lagoon. Definitely talk to local kiters once there & think twice about going out if there's no one out.

Learn some words in Tahitian & be sure to hit resorts with lots of frenchies, they go topless!!!

jaxonholer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tahiti and French Polynesia Kite Trip

Post by jaxonholer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:43 am

I did my honeymoon there, we were in Moorea and Bora Bora. There was good wind the entire time in late July, there were probably some good spots to kite, but there are not many open beaches to launch at, although I did see a decent amount of kites in both spots. The most populated spot was in Bora Bora with jetski supported lessons going on. The islands you are likely to be at are protected by huge rings of reef, that's what protects the overwater bungaloes from any swell. So, you will not likely find any waves, but the water is decently calm and 3-5 feet deep for as far as the eye can see. If you are near hotels, the bungaloes are on huge docks that extend out into the water, so if something goes wrong, you're getting dragged into the docks and that would be a disaster.

It's a pretty big area, so there must be beaches to kite at, but it was not obvious to me and we went all over. The wind was blowing at least 20, some times more, so I have no doubt you can make it work, if you could rent a dingy, that would probably be awesome for getting to the remote spots.

The pricing on these islands is off the charts expensive, you can't get a car for less than $80 a day, and the hotels are some of the most expensive in the world. It's an amazing place, and if you had a boat, you could find amazing kite spots, but the pricing it insane. The reef would make for some amazing flat water, but I can't recommend any specific places. There is very little to do, aside from the most amazing aquariums you'll see where you swim with little sharks and massive sting rays and millions of flourescent fish. :dance: but that ain't kiting...