Pismo & Kite Expo Camping

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 am

I see there was some discussion and questions about camping down in the Pismo area. Here's what I remember: (Note: I'm coming from a place to 'park my Westfalia camper', so my comments will be tailored towards 'flat place to park' not 'full hookups with TV cable and sewer' or 'tent camping'). Marina: correct me where I'm wrong below...

There are two Avenues which run East/West to/from the beach. To the North is Grand Avenue, where the Kite Expo is. About 3/4 mile to the south of Grand Ave is Pier Avenue (which is actually almost a mile south of the Pismo pier - seems like a city street naming FAIL, but maybe there's some local history I don't understand). Both avenues are entrances to the beach, where you can drive/park your vehicle, I believe for day-use only. It's a pretty cool experience to park on the sand and launch/land your kite from your bumper.

There are two CA State Park campgrounds - North Beach and Oceano. I've stayed at Oceano Campground, the one to the South, on Pier Avenue. The campground is a pretty standard CA State Park, and though it looks like it's right on the beach on the map, it's actually a 10 minute walk through the sand dunes to get to the beach. In terms of kiting from your campground, it's a pretty big schlep to get to the water with gear. And it would be a 20+ minute walk (to the North) to get to the Kite Expo site. For this reason, I probably wouldn't make this my first choice.

The other CA State campground is North Beach and is about 1/3 mile to the north of Grand Avenue and the Kite Expo. I haven't stayed there, but I'd look at that first. It's closer to Pismo's cute downtown area, Kite Expo, restaurants, surf shops, etc. Sites are reserved through ReserveAmerica for "Pismo SB" here: http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/P ... ampingSpot

If you want to get out of the wind and away from the city, I've heard decent reports about Lopez Lake, about 15 miles to the East of Pismo. More info here: http://www.slocountyparks.com/activities/lopez.htm

I believe there are some other private campgrounds/RV parks in/around Pismo/Oceano, but I don't have any recommendations. Marina?

Here's a map of the general area:
Pismo_2.jpg
Pismo_2.jpg (331.59KiB)Viewed 12191 times
Others: Please add more info for places you've stayed and/or would avoid!

Kirk out

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pismo & Kite Expo Camping

Post by amir » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:01 am

Thanks for the info. Seems like North Beach may be a good call. Unfortunately, in April the reservations are walk up only. I wonder how likely it is to get a spot. Does anyone have an idea?

I'll try giving them a call too.

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 am

It's tough to get a spot on a Friday night unless you know someone who already has a spot. Each spot can have up to 3 cars. I used drive down Wednesday or Thursday and grab bunch of spots for my friends.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 am

Ok all,

Looks like Jilliann and I will drive down to Pismo on Thursday afternoon. We are going to try for Northbeach campground. It has facilities (showers and bathrooms) and is within a short beach drive of the event.
Since the camping is first come/first serve, I'd be willing to try to reserve a couple of extra sites when I get there for folks who will be arriving later. HOWEVER, please, lets keep this simple. Seems that often when I offer something like this it ends up being a PITA. Basically, if you are sure you are coming and want me to grab a spot, pm me. I'll need a name, vehicle info (make, color, plate #) and the days you want to stay. Also send me contact info, preferably a phone # as there may be a need to connect on Thursday or Friday. I expect that I'll have to pay some $$ up front so we'll work that out down the road. Each space can have up to 3 vehicles so plan accordingly. I'll take the first few people that pm me.

Looking forward to some great kiting and good people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 am

p.s. Kirk, I know you have a place already, but your westy is welcome to park by ours!! At least for a campfire and adult sodas!!

marinaTKB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by marinaTKB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:07 pm

hey guys, http://www.classiccalifornia.com/lodging.htm gives a good rundown on area campgrounds and RV parks..... as I recall, most people try and stay at the North Campground but honestly don't know a lot about either cause I live here!

Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:53 pm

sc-surfer wrote:Ok all,

Looks like Jilliann and I will drive down to Pismo on Thursday afternoon. We are going to try for Northbeach campground. It has facilities (showers and bathrooms) and is within a short beach drive of the event.
Since the camping is first come/first serve, I'd be willing to try to reserve a couple of extra sites when I get there for folks who will be arriving later. HOWEVER, please, lets keep this simple. Seems that often when I offer something like this it ends up being a PITA. Basically, if you are sure you are coming and want me to grab a spot, pm me. I'll need a name, vehicle info (make, color, plate #) and the days you want to stay. Also send me contact info, preferably a phone # as there may be a need to connect on Thursday or Friday. I expect that I'll have to pay some $$ up front so we'll work that out down the road. Each space can have up to 3 vehicles so plan accordingly. I'll take the first few people that pm me.

Looking forward to some great kiting and good people.

The way you grab the spot is to pay for it from Thursday - Sunday.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm

sc-surfer wrote:p.s. Kirk, I know you have a place already, but your westy is welcome to park by ours!! At least for a campfire and adult sodas!!
Thanks Monte. I'll definitely swing in and hang with you guys at *some* point(s). Being that I'm a totally free agent that week (wife and kids are out of town elsewhere), I'm enjoying the idea of zero plans, no agenda and sleeping wherever-the-heck-I-happen-to-end-up each night. Ah, the freedom of the Westy!

Let's be in touch as you know more about where you've landed...

Kirk out

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 pm

+1 for North Beach campground. It will likely be tough to find a spot if you arrive on Friday, as others have said, arrival on Thursday or even Wednesday will almost assure you a spot. But it's still worth a try to maybe get there early on Friday if you can as most peoples schedules will not be able to let them get down early.

The campground is close to the 'downtown' with restaurants and amenities, close to the Expo, it has hot water showers, you can get a fire going, what else do you need? I went down in my Westfalia and squeezed in to a friends spot and was find, but if you don't have an RV or camper van, you kind of need your own spot to pitch your tent and have your space.

Good luck!

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 pm

@kirk...sounds perfect. See ya there.

@sonny, I kinda figured as much. I'll be there thursday so will snatch up a few spots for those that ask.