Brisbane or Cairns, Australia in April

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
MadHatter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Brisbane or Cairns, Australia in April

Post by MadHatter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Anyone know anything about kiting conditions in East Australia in April? I saw some posts here about crazy winds in December and Jan, but things might be different in April..

Thanks.

ozchrisb
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Brisbane or Cairns, Australia in April

Post by ozchrisb » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:08 am

Try http://www.seabreeze.com.au they'll have plenty of opinions. I went to Cairns (Yorky's Knob... seriously) in August once for a week and got okay wind on 3 days, super light for the rest. It's a flatwater/chop place, everywhere on the far north coast of Queensland is becasue the reef blocks the swell. There are a few boats that will take you out to the edge of the reef for more wind/waves/amazing photo's of you kiting off a sliver of sand. Nice place to laze on the beach when there's no wind. I think April is too early and you might still have killer jelly fish around... seriously. And the crocodiles are there all year... seriously. Someone got very concerned with be dragging around for my board there and got it for me quick smart.