Cabrete or.....

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:31 am

I would second Millenium. I rented/kited out of there. Nice place and good overall location for everything. Of course it's also packed with beginners as I mentioned but if you want to avoid that go down wind a 1/4 mile.

Waves are out a bit but not far at all. It's just a small break where there's a reef I suppose it's maybe 400 yards or so.

Not much wave action really but enough to at least entertain. The trouble is there's quite a bit of chop on the inside and no reason at all to go further than the break.

If you go don't miss hitting the flat water spot. Can't remember the name. The restaurant there has the most amazing fish.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Re: Cabrete or.....

Post by Bulldog » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Puerto Rico has much better waves than DR most of the time. Winter/spring is bigger than in summer. Wind is about the same as Cabarete, trade winds.

Jet Blue flies to Aguadilla from NYC, that puts you 10 minutes from Shacks/Middles area which has 3 or 4 kiteable beaches.

It's a surf town, surf culture but there are plenty of locals who kite. There are no kite shops but it's easy to rent a surfboard (I rode strapless). There are some good restaurants, cafes, nightspots, etc.

Puerto Rico is super easy to drive around (we built all the roads), 2 hours to the south coast Mediterrean turqoise water. 1/2 hour to rainforest in the center of the island.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

toddeby
Joey
Joey

Re: Cabrete or.....

Post by toddeby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Kiting out front of the Millennium is pretty sweet...it gets a bit crowded but no worse than Sherman plus you can head out to the reef for some waves which will get you away from most of the crowd. As to flat water, there isn't as much as I expected...it's a lot like La Ventana with regards to chop/swell...as a matter of fact, while we were there swell got as high as 9'. Obviously its not like that all the time but it ain't gonna be flat water like you see in Hatteras or South Padre. The waves looked sweet, I had my twin tip with me so I wasn't out on the line up.

You won't need/want a rental car...motorcycle taxis are a dime a dozen and you can easily get a taxi if you want to head out somewhere. We walked into town every day as it's only a 5-10 min walk.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:40 pm

The flat water is at La Boca.