My Costa Rica Kite Trip (Bahia de Salinas)

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
skysurf
Joey
Joey
My Costa Rica Kite Trip (Bahia de Salinas)

Post by skysurf » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 am

Thought I share my recent kite trip to Costa Rica (Bahia de Salinas) I am a beginner kiter so keep that in mind ;)

Weather and Kite conditions: We got wind almost every day (8-5) and it was "off-season". Another off season perk was to watch the whales in the bay while kiting! Amazing! The weather and water temperature were perfect for my taste. The water was almost warmer than the outside temperature. (No wetsuit needed ;)

Accommodation: I really liked the Blue Dream Resort http://www.bluedreamhotel.com/. It's perfect for kitesurfers! The rooms were nice and clean (26 USD a night (off season price) for a standard room with bathroom), the food was excellent (great priced and you can order your lunches to the beach), the atmosphere friendly and relaxed.You have kiters from all over the world, all experience levels. The Resort is very close to the kite beach (5 min car ride). From the Liberia Airport the Resort is about a 1 1/2 hour car ride. (You can rent a car or get a shuttle for about $80) The roads are not paved the last 10km to the resort so its a bit remote (no stores in walking distance) and a bumpy ride but once you're there you reap all the benefits. Nicola (the owner) also goes far beyond his duties. For example the Hotel was staying open especially for me a couple extra days.

For Beginners: My level was just about water start on the board before I arrived. The kitesurf classes were super helpful. Nicola lives and breath kitesurfing and is an extremely helpful and patient instructor. Explains everything very detailed. He even let me try different kites (which schools didn't seem to offer here for beginners) You really make great progress kiting every day from 8-5 ;)

Store: At the Blue Dream Resort Store you can rent or buy gear (all the latest and greatest brands) Boards, Sunglasses, Shirts, Shorts and whatever else you need.

As far as Costa Rica. I really loved this place. People were super friendly. The airport in Liberia is brand spanking new and not as busy as the one in San Jose. (Not to mention much closer) All in all I was so impressed by everything that I already booked my room to go back in December ;) Anyone wants more information or possibly come along to kite send me note ;)

On a footnote: I found myself in Samara at the day of the 7.6 Earthquake. Just 9 miles from the epicenter. I couldn't be more impressed with the response of the locals. It's an experience I will never forget. Never in my 12 years living in SF i have ever experienced such a powerful earthquake. Costa Rica is really an amazing spot on this earth. It not only impressed me with its nature but also with its people.

tgautier
Regular
Regular

Post by tgautier » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:14 am

How strong was the wind? Any flat spots or mostly all waves?

skysurf
Joey
Joey

Re: My Costa Rica Kite Trip (Bahia de Salinas)

Post by skysurf » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:50 am

around 15/17 kns .(this is "off season" :) ). the water is flat.. (its a bay) wind all the way at the beach.. all the good kiters started right from the beach.. I body dragged out a bit...Here is a picture (remember i am beginner ;) ) The windy season starts November, (22-28 kns) hence I head back in December ;)
Attachments
644672_481704168513927_590862956_n-1.jpeg
644672_481704168513927_590862956_n-1.jpeg (54.49KiB)Viewed 7319 times

skysurf
Joey
Joey

Post by skysurf » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 am

Here is another photo from the kite beach...
Attachments
photo.jpeg
The Kite Beach
photo.jpeg (748.89KiB)Viewed 7273 times

stewart
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stewart » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:25 pm

We had a great time there as well. Though the winds in season are closer to 30 mph average. Can't wait to go back.