coche, Venezuela

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
BAK
coche, Venezuela

Post by BAK » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:01 pm

constant off shore 15 knts morning 25 to 30 knt afternoon.

Read more...

stewy

coche

Post by stewy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:23 pm

Hey BAK,

I've read all the stuff about Margarita/Coche etc. on kiteforum and found this posting through a google search. Very helpful so thanks. A few more questions for you or anyone else...

1) everybody talks about how awesome coche is but it's all offshore. Weird? Especially for a learning spot. Can you give me any more details/tips? what's up with the rescue boat you mention?
2) what I want to do...I'm an intermediate/advanced kiter and I just want to kite as much as possible. I also want to get lessons for my girlfriend. Can you give me some tips on places to stay/schools etc.?

THanks,
Andrew

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: coche

Post by OliverG » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:04 am

stewy wrote:Hey BAK,

I've read all the stuff about Margarita/Coche etc. on kiteforum and found this posting through a google search. Very helpful so thanks. A few more questions for you or anyone else...

1) everybody talks about how awesome coche is but it's all offshore. Weird? Especially for a learning spot. Can you give me any more details/tips? what's up with the rescue boat you mention?
2) what I want to do...I'm an intermediate/advanced kiter and I just want to kite as much as possible. I also want to get lessons for my girlfriend. Can you give me some tips on places to stay/schools etc.?

THanks,
Andrew
I don't know much about the kiteboarding scene there, but here's a site with news about it, and pics of beautiful girls on the beaches:

http://www.sinflash.com/SinFlash/portal ... la%20Playa

Hope this helps. :)

HammerOz

Post by HammerOz » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:45 am

Hey there,

I'd be really interested to find out more as well. I'm heading there from London next week. I'm tossing up between Los Roques and Coche. I'm a learner and was also wondering about this offshore thing.
hamish_travel@yahoo.com.au

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:20 pm

Guys,
I am sitting in Detroit now. This past January i learnt to
I learnt kiting ( staying upwind but no jumping ) in
coche. Out of the 24 days on the island. We had
16 ridable days. This was last week of december and
the first three weeks fo january.

I have heard March, April and May are the three
10 mt sq. kiting months.

Now for the question. Yes the wind is offshore. Victor
the portugese guy who owns everything on coche
has a hotel on the kite beach. He has a boat crew on
standby every day. These guys rescue who ever get's
draged down wind. It is 10'000 bolivars ( roughly 4 dollars)
a shot for the first three rescues. Then onwards the 4th.
and the subsiquent rescues are free. Offcourse most people
quit for the day after the third rescue.

If you have any more questions feel free to e-mail.
Brar
Detroit

Sanfransisco Kiting scene during X-mass break

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:30 pm

Forgot to Ask,
The real reason for logging onto your bay area forum was
to ask someone if the bay is kitable during X-mass break.

We have to come to visit my relatives in cuppertino. Should
i get my quiver of kites and the board along ? Do you guys
ride in the last week of december?

The water get's a bit nippy even for dry suits,
in the great lakes in December.
And the snow doesn't come till January.

Thanks,
Brar,
cybrar@yahoo.com

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Sanfransisco Kiting scene during X-mass break

Post by OliverG » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:43 pm

Anonymous wrote:Forgot to Ask,
The real reason for logging onto your bay area forum was
to ask someone if the bay is kitable during X-mass break.

We have to come to visit my relatives in cuppertino. Should
i get my quiver of kites and the board along ? Do you guys
ride in the last week of december?

The water get's a bit nippy even for dry suits,
in the great lakes in December.
And the snow doesn't come till January.

Thanks,
Brar,
cybrar@yahoo.com
We kite if there's wind which at that time is dependent on frontal, storm or clearing winds. Maybe bring a couple of smaller kites a 10 and a 12 and a board. It will be hit or miss though.

Cheers,
Ollie

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:04 am

Thanks Ollie,
I will get along the 12 and possibly the nine too with the board
and the drys suit.
Brar
Detroit

tiger20
Joey
Joey

Post by tiger20 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:44 pm

I wrote a travel report for my Coche trip recently, here's the story:

The island of Coche is the kind of spot you almost donít want to tell anyone about. Itís so remote and low key very few people know about the beauty and kiting potential. Every year when the PKRA stops by to host an event, the word spreads a little more about this flat water kiting paradise. Coche is becoming a world class kite spot and the word is spreading fast!

The tranquil island of Coche is located 24 miles off the coast of Venezuela and just a short 20 minute ferry ride across from the larger island of Margarita. (See Map)

Getting There
With direct flights to Margarita from Europe now, traveling with overstuffed gear bags is becoming easier. Most major airlines will fly into Caracas, Venezuela. From there a short 30 minute flight will take you to Porlamar. These quick flights leave every two or three hours and cost around $60-80US each way. Kites and board bags are usually allowed at no extra charge. From the Porlamar airport, hop a taxi to El Yaque for 25,000 Bolivars ($12US) then head to the Yaque Paradise Hotel to check the ferry schedule and buy a ticket for the next boat to Coche. The ferry from El Yaque Paradise Hotel services Coche island almost every 2 hours of the day from sunrise to sunset. The cost each way is 15,000 Bolivars ($8US).

Wind Conditions
The dependable South Eastern trade wind blows constantly and is much stronger in the daytime when accompanied by the thermal winds which start around 2.00pm. In peak season the average is around 18 knots and winds regularly exceeds 25 knots in the afternoon. The peak season for wind is December through June. On the "average" day you can expect to be flying a 12 meter kite.

The Scene
UK pro rider Christian Valentine owns and operates a cabana right in front of the launch called Coche Kite Sports. (Donít let his warm personality and outgoing island spirit fool you ñ on a kite, he rips!) Itís a beach oasis stocked with bean bag chairs, lounge tables and a back-ache saving air compressor. Serving up snacks, cold beers and smooth music, this truly is the center of the Coche kite scene. (Pic Below)

Winds donít usually kick up until the mid afternoon allowing local riders to sleep off their late hangovers. 12-16 meter kites fill the sky for much of the mornings and then around 2pm you realize why Coche is a world class draw. The thermals kick up and the fun begins. Itís a given that there are usually a couple pros riding around for added inspiration. Pro riders Cesar Portas, Leo Estredo and Bertrand Fleury put on a clinic right in front of me, going huge and making it look effortless. Afterwards, they can be found chilling at the kite shack recharging while waiting for another epic session.

The buttery flat water combined with a reliable offshore wind attracts professional riders from all over the world. During my 2 week stay I meet five pro riders and Iím sure there were more that I never noticed. How many people can make that claim at their local spot? Even the local kids from El Yaque that are barely 16 years of age are boosting ultra smooth 20 foot spins and board offs. Even the women were ripping. Bertrand is building a slider park on the far end of the bay in Punta Playa for the PKRA event in the end of April. The sliders and kickers will remain out in the bay until the event culminates the first of May. (Pending coast guard intervention.)

Instruction
After enduring too many windless months in California I decided on Coche as the best place to break into this sport. There a few choices for kiteboard lessons on the island. I chose Sky Riders (www.myskyriders.com) located on the beach right next to Coche Paradise Hotel. Three quick sessions with a young energetic girl named Celia and I was up riding both ways. A quick 30 minute session pushed me a few hundred meters offshore. Luckily, local fishing boats trail riders in the outer waters and fish out newbies that canít yet stay upwind. For a $5 fee they bring you back to the launch saving you an impossible swim. Offshore winds make learning a tough task and unlike the local mantra, Coche is not an ideal place for beginners. To take advantage of the flat waters Coche is renowned for, you must stay upwind near the shore. However, seasoned riders with upwind ability will be spoiled like no other. Itís basically a kiteboard wet dream come to life.

Lodging
At this stage you have some decisions to make. Do you want convenience or luxury. Lodging in Margarita offers numerous high end all inclusive hotels, while Coche offers convenience and localized tranquility. Decide accordingly. I chose a spot one mile up the beach from the launch in the town of San Pedro. Alex Battistini runs a kite hostel for travelers and kiters looking for the rustic Coche experience. $20 a night will get you a home cooked breakfast, dinner, and all the cold beer you can guzzle. In addition to running the hostel with his wife Maria, Alex is a tour guide and knows nearly everyone on the island. If you have questions about the area, he has the answers.

Lodging Resources:
http://kitesurf.wtfe.com/
http://www.caribbeanwinds.com/
http://www.planetwindsurf.com/destinati ... hotels.asp

Vibe
The vibe on Coche is laid back and mellow. Itís the perfect place for either a ride-every-day-until-your-arms-fall-off session, or just to bring the wife or girl friend and enjoy a few mellow days while you share quality time. If you arrive with the right attitude, ready to absorb all the local flavors, your visit will be unforgettable.

Local Knowledge / Tips
- Store all of your kite gear in a locker at the Coche Kite Center cabana right on kite beach. Lockers rent for 10,000 Bolivars per day ($5) but will save you the hassle of lugging your gear to and from the beach, especially if you stay in El Yaque.
- The only internet access on Coche island is atop the hill at the police office. Itís free to use for 30 minutes.
- Bring your own waterproof sunblock and mosquito repellent.
- No need to bring Booties or foot protection. Unlike neighboring Caribbean islands, there are no coral reefs in Coche. The ocean floor is soft squishy sand.
- Learn some basic Spanish phrases and words before you leave. The locals are very friends yet many donít speak any English.
- Bring enough money for your entire trip. Getting to the bank in Porlamar from Coche will cost you around $50. The cash machines in the airport and in the city will most likely be empty or out of order. If you need cash, you need to go to a bank. Bring cash and travelers checks (preferably in US dollars). Currency can be exchanged in nearly all the hotels in El Yaque and at the Coche Paradise Hotel.