Best Kiteboarding Trip in October/November?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
jaxonholer
Contributor
Contributor
Re: Best Caribbean Kiteboarding in October/November?

Post by jaxonholer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:44 pm

I went to Aruba around Thanksgiving in 2011. Pretty fun spot, I'd say there are really 2 places to kite. One is glassy blue water, and straight offshore. There are a few kite schools there that haven't been screwed by the new hotels going up that block all the wind. Talk to these guys before you go out and they will come get you for 20 bucks if you need a rescue. I would say the wind can be very light that time of year, I remember being the only guy on the water with my 10, and it was super light. Really amazing water though for sure, I had probably 4 of 7 days on the water, 2 them resulting in rescues. The wind dies there, and when it does, it's dead. Super light, super glassy and amazing water.

The other side of the island has one beach that is nearly impossible to find. The other side of the island is way more rugged and raw, tons of sand dunes to get stuck in, but if you make it to the beach, you might find some decent wind. It's a small C shaped beach with lots of dead trees and debris in the water. But it's on shore, and maybe even sees some waves. It's an hour drive from the other side of the island where your hotel is most likely to be.

Aruba is full of all inclusive bs, I would stay somewhere that doesn't lock you into their meals. I stayed at Boardwalk, which is across the street from the Fishermans huts, maybe 100 yd walk to kiting. This place used to have a view, but they got blocked by the new hotels. You can see kites from some rooms, but there is not much view anymore. Close to the beach, but not THAT close.

I would say that is not their season for kiting, but if I was headed that way again, it wouldn't hurt a bit.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Best Caribbean Kiteboarding in October/November?

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Hmm, perhaps Caribbean may not be the best choice for late October, sounds like a transitional time. Will have to re-evaluate what options are good for that time...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Best Kiteboarding Trip in October/November?

Post by OliverG » Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 am

I edited the post title to be more general... Caribbean may be out as the end of October is probably not the best time to go. Maybe Oahu or Kauai? Maui is usually still good then, but I've been so many times, want to do something else...

BryanMichaelMeyer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by BryanMichaelMeyer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Did you kind a place to go in October? I am looking at taking a solo mission somewhere the month o October and have scoured the internet to see where in the world is good. Seems like an iffy month. I may just head to Maui since it's so easy and less expensive to get there that time of year. I

dontfeedthenerd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by dontfeedthenerd » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey I'm headed to Cozumel in November. Heard that it was kinda the beginning of the season. Let me know if you want any more info.

I actually have a 2 bedroom condo (with 1 bedroom free right now) from Nov 4th-12th.

ProKite
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ProKite » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:51 am

i can't help it, i wasnt going to post on this thread, and simply put the new SPI flyer up and leave it at that, but i can't help it.

SPI goes off 5+ days a week mid oct until the end of december. if you want to ride, this is the spot. flatwater is wicked, and if you get a little lucky you can score head high waves.

good luck with the trip!

Brett
Prokite Lesson Center
http://www.prokitesouthpadre.com