Turks and Caicos is an awesome place to learn Kiteboarding

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
RhondaReyna
Joey
Joey
Turks and Caicos is an awesome place to learn Kiteboarding

Post by RhondaReyna » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:36 am

I had the pleasure of taking lessons from an exceptional instructor, Jessica Winkler, a professional competitor and Instructor for Kite Provo, located in Long Bay, Turks and Caicos. The shallow warm water is an ideal setting to learn body dragging, self-rescue, kite control and riding techniques. Jessica is passionate about teaching, in particularly, helping women learn to kiteboard safely and confidently. I was recovering from a fall with a previous company and was very tentative. Jessica's supportive demeanor quickly helped me overcome that and she got me up on the board and feeling safe. Chris, owner of KiteProvo, provided stellar communications before and after my lesson. His courteous, professional emails were highly informative and I was impressed with his online registration system.

I think it's worthwhile to take a trip to Turks and Caicos to get started kiteboarding. I had in mind to go to TC so I wouldn't have to endure the inconvenience of learning this sport in SF Bay wearing a wetsuit and body dragging in cold water. I wanted to make it as easy on myself as possible. It was the best decision I made and so worth it!!!

I stayed at ClubMed which was a great price point. While it's not a 5 star luxury outfit, the all-inclusive activities, social atmosphere and friendly staff, made my time away from the water a lot of extra fun. I met some great people there and many I spoke to have developed life long friendships through their stays at that resort. It was a bonus.

There are luxury hotels like Seven Stars and the Gansevoort with many options for your own preferences. Turks is uncrowded and has amazing beaches.

I can't wait to go back. Jessica will be putting together women's kiteboarding camps, which I'd certainly like to participate in. I am happy to pass along the information as I get it from her. I had a great time hanging out with Jessica, she's a lot of fun, and it would be fantastic to help more women confidently learn this sport.

kitesetup2.JPG
getting ready to launch at Long Bay with Kite Provo
kitesetup2.JPG (1.14MiB)Viewed 2642 times
IMG_2305.JPG
knee to waistdeep warm water for ease of learning
IMG_2305.JPG (156.96KiB)Viewed 2642 times
2 cover photo.JPG
Warm and beautiful in Grace Bay in front of Club Med learning to set up my own equipment
2 cover photo.JPG (1.2MiB)Viewed 2642 times
8b closing valves.JPG
Club Med beach
8b closing valves.JPG (1.94MiB)Viewed 2642 times
10a tyiing the lines.JPG
Very patient instruction from Jessica on properly tying the lines of my own kite
10a tyiing the lines.JPG (1.76MiB)Viewed 2642 times
5 the bar.JPG
Jessica demonstrates the sheeting length difference between a women's bar and the men's bars.
5 the bar.JPG (821.07KiB)Viewed 2642 times