Ocean Rodeo's 2008 Mako Carve Series

Please make all commercial, shop and industry postings here.
EvanOR
Regular
Regular
Ocean Rodeo's 2008 Mako Carve Series

Post by EvanOR » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Ocean Rodeo is proud to introduce the 2008 Mako Carve kiteboard series. Built with Ocean Rodeo's legendary attention to detail the 2008 Mako series is designed for durability, control and Carve!

The 2008 Mako line up is Ocean Rodeo's deepest line of heavy concave carving boards ever. Featuring 4 shapes with up to 18mm of concave the 2008 line up of Mako Surf and Mako twins smooths choppy waters, carves up wind with ease and bites into every turn you make.

If you are trying to choose between the 150 Freeride and the Freeride Wide, this info should help you.

The differences between the boards are apparent in the photos below. Aside from the obvious, the Wide is a little thinner and lighter than the original, and the fins are slightly larger. The rocker and massive concave (which is what makes these boards perform so well and unlike anything else on the market) are comparable.

Both boards carve, boost, smoke upwind, are very fast and have a huge wind range. They excel in flat water, chop, waves (especially blown-out junk surf) and I expect that the Wide will prove to be a great race board. If you are a snowboarder you will instantly feel right at home on them as they ride very much like an all-mountain board in the deep stuff....

Who are they for? Unless you ride like Jeremie Tronet who rides the Zen 129x39 they are for you....they also make for a great One board/travel quiver.

It is important to note that despite the similarities these boards share, I am already finding that there are many testers who strongly dislike the narrow 150 but fall in love with Wide (and in some cases vice versa)...my point? Make sure you try them both, but I think that the vast majority of people will prefer and be better off on the Wide. The Wide is more stable and forgiving, planes up in less wind and will go upwind with very little power in the kite. It also has a much smoother rider in chop and landings are softer due to the greater flex.

Once the season kicks in I'll be at Crissy a few days a week so if you see me there be sure to hit me up for a demo. You can also email me at ussales@oceanrodeo.com or check out one of our " official " demo days (West coast schedule to be announced soon) this spring. We'll also be at the Pismo Kite XPO. Stoked to roll out to Sherman on the weekends too!
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Golden Gate Sailing Expeditions

face_plant
Contributor
Contributor

Post by face_plant » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:15 pm

[font=Verdana]Yes, the wide was a lot of fun. Made some rough chop feel unbelievably smooth. I was really shocked. This would be a great board for the always present chop on the bay. Also, the Mako surfboard is very fast and maneuverable. Can't wait to get my new one out on the water. [/font]

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:43 pm

how was that one fin thing..?
it looks very interesting and could be fast
can you get off the fin..
ride the edge ?
and can you reduce the fin size..?

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:00 pm

There's no problem riding and loading up the rail....edge as hard as you can and it will not let go. The fin is only there to add some directional stability/tracking and can be removed if you're riding in butter...IMO it's best left in though.

I haven't personally experimented with smaller sizes so I can't comment on that, but the crew in design/R&D tried different fin styles/shapes and decided that the 150x40 works best with a slightly larger fin than the 150x34. I imagine it comes down to personal preference though.

Cheers,

Evan
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

thanks i hope to check one out .

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:28 pm

Nice.. you back around evan? I def would like to check these out and prob pick up another kite soon. Sounds like Crissy might be getting back into action again soon :)
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:05 pm

Cool dude, got back from Mx last week. I should be around for a few weeks - can't wait for Crissy to start working again. It's kind of had the right feel to it the last couple of days.
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:49 pm

Man, we should put this guy on the payroll.....excellent, detailed review. I couldn't have said it better myself! =D>

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2&p=517690

I'm at Crissy most weekdays if anybody wants to try one. Also, we'll be at Pismo and doing Bay area demos the following week.
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits