Sierra Snowkite Summit - Jan 25,26,27

Please make all commercial, shop and industry postings here.
etxxz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Sierra Snowkite Summit - Jan 25,26,27

Post by etxxz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Terribly conditions for kiting, but * I * thought, it was a lot of fun for my first time in snow. Got in 3 good little sessions. Snow def burns out you faster than water. The place is probably not big enough for the number of kiters that showed up tho. We alone were a group of 5.

What "helped" was that there was barely any wind. It varied between -5 - 20mph in that little valley. Just a few of us were able to get going, but just going. Still every kite there spent more time on the ground than in the air. Even trainer kites couldn't stay up. Gusts would last some 20sec and then you're back on your ass swinging the kite so it stays up. If your kite was big enough you had a better chance to link the next gust, or use the gust to relaunch jalapeno-hot and get you to your next checkpoint.

It was also very warm so the snow got pretty slushy, specially towards the afternoon ie. slow and took much more effort to get going.

The organizers are hella helpful and fun to be around, so that's awesome. Almost the whole group went to a trampoline place after that killed it. I'd go back 100% with better conditions.

keithdkd
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sierra Snowkite Summit - Jan 25,26,27

Post by keithdkd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 am

I went Saturday, and it was pretty miserable. Useless wind. Snowkiting in Tahoe for me is now 0 for 3, after two similar skunk sessions in Mt Rose (another "good" Tahoe spot). If that's what Sugarbowl is calling "good conditions" for snowkiting, I won't be back.

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 am

Welcome to Sierra wind....
Chris

Kite Naked
Benicia Kite and Paddle Sports
4562 East 2nd Street, Unit J & K
Benicia, CA 94510

209-304-2200

http://www.kitenaked.com
Slingshot

NCKite_Ryder
Resident
Resident

Post by NCKite_Ryder » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm

I tried to say PAYING the fee to kite this place was going to suck! I got ripped for saying so (not that i give a fuck) but this was my point... Mt. Rose Meadows and Hope Valley are better venues for "wind" if you are in tahoe and want to give it a shot.

Go to Idaho if you want to experience what snowkiting reall is...

It makes me feel like this when I spend more time with the kite on the ground than in the air

4AA9B5D34E99FBD583E4454FF2971.gif
4AA9B5D34E99FBD583E4454FF2971.gif (1.98MiB)Viewed 5776 times
6,8,10,12 RPM's
2010 UG FLX
2012 Firewire Flexfire Strapless

NorthCoastKiter -

Tribaled
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tribaled » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Fellow Kiters ,
First off let it be known that I'm new to the Snowkite scene , and granted , the wind was far from epic .I believe most of us that showed up made the best of it and had a blast. Our sport revolves around patience and timing to score the perfect set up - snowkiting is no different .
Next time contact http://www.sierrasnowkite.com for information/forecast before heading up - Tyler Brown and his crew of instructors are above and beyond top notch !
Think of this set up as a stepping stone into the world of snowkiting - providing easy access + instruction , all within a safe environment.
Keep in mind this is the first dedicated snowkite zone in California that has the support of a well respected ski resort ,within an easy three hour drive from the Bay Area .
Speaking of Idaho - Feb 23,24 is the PBR - Prairie Blowout Rally Snowkite Weekend -Fairfield , Idaho put on by Thermal Foundation Snowkite Adventures.....check it !
Cheers for now ,
Bruce *bg&
http://www.bayareakitesurf.com

litewavedave
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by litewavedave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am

My philosophy on Sierra snowkiting is to go snowboarding and throw your kite in the car. If it gets windy, THEN go kiting. You can't really plan on going snowkiting.