OHIO kiter looking for Legal/Finance/Investment SUMMER Opp.

All Off-Topic items not related to kiting can be posted here. Please post all For Sale items in the Classifieds Ads section.

Moderators: BayAreaKite, WindMuch

Forum rules
Please post all For Sale items in the Classified Ads section. Thank you.

OHIO kiter looking for Legal/Finance/Investment SUMMER Opp.

Postby zh4k » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Hey all, I was the Ohio kiteboarder that came out to California late last summer and who posted on here for help getting to know the spots out in California. First just wanted to say thanks for all the could help me have a stellar time out there, it was a blast. I primarily came out there to see family, meet with legal professionals, and to generally check out California to see if I would like to live there permanently when I graduate from Law School.

Basically, I have one more summer to find a summer opportunity before I graduate and have been having terrible luck even getting an interview mainly because why hire someone from Ohio when you can hire someone from California. Thus, I wanted to appeal to fellow kiters who might work for a Law Office, Investment Bank, Financial Institution, or Private Equity Firm that might be able to help me out with a summer job.

My legal fields of interest are primarily in Corporate, Business, M&A, Employment, Securities, Private Equity Law, and similar fields of law. However, I also have an MBA and a B.A. in Finance from undergrad, thus I also wouldn't mind working for an investment bank or financial institution doing nonlegal work as well. I have an excellent resume and would be happy to send it around to those who can help. Just shoot me a PM if you can help and thanks for your time.

During my trip I got to check out many of the kiting location in California in a few short weeks and just loved it. I got to check out Sherman Island which was killer. I didn't kite in San Francisco, but I simply watched and talked to some kiters at Chrissy Field since I knew it was above my skill level to kite there. Down in southern California I got to kite at Belmont Beach in Long Beach, and Kitesurfari was very helpful down there. Also in Malibu I was able to check out Leo Carillo beach was awesome as well ( i was told of the huge rock right in the middle, but I still managed to run right into it, hahaha).

Areas I'm looking at are all over. Mainly I'm looking at Los Angeles (and surrounding), San Diego, Long Beach, Sacramento, San Francisco, Walnut Creek, and Stockton. I have family and friends in Sacramento and Los Angeles so I wouldn't have to pay for rent, but I would still be open to the other cities if there was something open.
zh4k
Joey
Joey

Re: OHIO kiter looking for Legal/Finance/Investment SUMMER O

Postby schwede » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Hey the Bay Area is a great place and I hope you can get out here but must tell you the job market in the areas you are looking is extremely competitive. I am a recruiter and say for every finance job we get 500 to 1,000 resumes and law is worse. If you are going to a tier 1 law school or a top 10 business school you should be ok.
schwede
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby zh4k » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 am

Hey, thanks for the response!

Yes I know it's extremely competitive, thus why I'm resorting to making this post since I figured kiters were a close knit group typically and hopefully someone can help out.

I know how important rankings are, but I go to a top 50 law school and my MBA school wasn't ranked nearly that good. Fortunately, I have substantial experience and great grades, but these still aren't doing too much good since I'm not from California, but I'm just hoping to get some experience out there to show how interested I am in state.
zh4k
Joey
Joey

Postby jowall » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 am

Go local! Don't put your address on the resume. Google voice can get you a 310 phone number that forwards to your cell.
jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Off-Topic Forum