Black Sheep fly over the World....

All Off-Topic items not related to kiting can be posted here. Please post all For Sale items in the Classifieds Ads section.
Forum rules
Please post all For Sale items in the Classified Ads section. Thank you.
Greg
Old School
Old School
Black Sheep fly over the World....

Post by Greg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:55 am

Hope you're a baseball fan, the VMA-214 Black Sheep will be doing the flyover for Game 2 of the World Series in San Francisco this week.

Pass the word to your Family in the Bay Area, it'll be on Thursday, Oct 28th.

The Black Sheep were made world famous during WW2 for being the best FIGHTER OUTFIT in the South Pacific. My grandfather was their leader, Col.Gregory "PAPPY" Boyington.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Black Sheep fly over the World....

Post by jjm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:05 pm

Are they flying Corsairs? :)

kingfisher
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kingfisher » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:46 pm

I use to watch the tv series.

rambo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rambo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:40 am

Greg -
All I have to say was your grandfather was a Fuckin Badass!!!! I have seen the shows on him on I think Military Channel.

dakine1
Regular
Regular

Post by dakine1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:34 am

Limme, Now I know where you get your personality.Ha Ha.. Ed

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:46 pm

This will be the modern Black Sheep fly Harrior Jets and are based out of Flagstaff, Arz-

All the original planes were destroyed by wars end, those that fly today are reproductions.

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm

L.M.G. wrote:Hope you're a baseball fan, the VMA-214 Black Sheep will be doing the flyover for Game 2 of the World Series in San Francisco this week.

Pass the word to your Family in the Bay Area, it'll be on Thursday, Oct 28th.

The Black Sheep were made world famous during WW2 for being the best FIGHTER OUTFIT in the South Pacific. My grandfather was their leader, Col.Gregory "PAPPY" Boyington.
Wow so cool your Grandfather is a true hero! Respect!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMA-214
Royce V
KGBswag

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks Royce- Yes Pappy was worthy of much respect. :bow-yellow:

Cool all the stuff you can find on the net-
But rarely do you read something that really explains who the man truly was...
Pappy was pure Sheep Dog with a heart so deep purple it was amazing!, but it appeared black to the enemy -
For example: He would always take the most beaten plane so his men where as safe as he could get them then he'd lead the battles pouring lead :romance-kisscheek: into the enemy-

L.M.G.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:26 pm

this explains something:
Boyington is best known for his exploits flying the Vought F4U Corsair in VMF-214. During periods of intense activity in the Russell Islands-New Georgia and Bougainville-New Britain-New Ireland areas, Boyington added to his total almost daily. During his squadron's first tour of combat duty, the major shot down 14 enemy fighter planes in 32 days. By December 27, his record had climbed to 25.[1]
A typical daring feat was his attack on Kahili airdrome at the southern tip of Bougainville on October 17, 1943. He and 24 fighters circled the field where 60 hostile aircraft were based, goading the enemy into sending up a large force. In the fierce battle that followed, 20 enemy aircraft were shot down while the Black Sheep returned to their base without loss.[1]
Boyington’s squadron, flying from the island of Vella Lavella, offered to down a Japanese Zero for every baseball cap sent to them by major league players in the World Series. They received 20 caps and shot down many more enemy aircraft.

rvv
Regular
Regular

Post by rvv » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Love to talk about that with you next time we meet. I have some stories to share with you as well about my GP. Fuck NAZIs! Having been trained as an A&P mechanic I fully respect the sacrifice that Pappy made and the fact that you continue to live your life in a way that honors the bravery off your forefather! Well done! You continue to honor his legacy by being protective of our sport! Well done! You are a hero as well :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Royce V
KGBswag