Tractor Innertube WANTED!

All Off-Topic items not related to kiting can be posted here. Please post all For Sale items in the Classifieds Ads section.
Forum rules
Please post all For Sale items in the Classified Ads section. Thank you.
Greg
Old School
Old School
Tractor Innertube WANTED!

Post by Greg » Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 am

Hi All-
I'm looking to build a floating hot-tube for public (kiter) use.
What I'd like to use is an innertube for a tractor tire for floatation and safety....
Can anyone get me a tube with 5' D, really fast???? Hopefully not to much $$..
Thankx-
Greg

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Tractor Innertube WANTED!

Post by OliverG » Sat May 29, 2010 11:40 am

Hmm, I might want to stay out of that water... :shock:

But here you go, try them:

Don's Tire Services
www.donstireservice.com
820 Gilman Street
Berkeley, CA 94710-1422
(510) 526-0335

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sat May 29, 2010 11:57 am

you are going to need a lot more than that. 8 lbs/gallon. 500 gallons would be a small hot tub. thats 4000lbs of displacement just for the tub, no people and you will need about 1.5 times that to keep the tub above equilibrium.

Not trying to knock the idea but it is a fair amount of weight to displace economically. Maybe just put it ON the island?

Beaver powered heating system?

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat May 29, 2010 4:23 pm

I was thinking the water would carry the weight of the water therefore the inner-tube would just float the tub and whatever water is above the water line ....I'd like it to sit about 6" out of the water and be unsinkable.... something you can hoop right into after ripp'n your heart out at sunrise or after ride'n your butt off all day..
As far as water quality- well it will be straight river water run through a simple heater and pumped endlessly so it spills right over the top.. (no muss- no fuss)

Am I missing something here?

BTW: I dont want it on land, I want to float down the river in it-
Nice to be seated in the winners circle in the worlds first hot tub race... (joke)

This is for REAL- thanks for your ideas-
Greg

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Sun May 30, 2010 7:38 am

Archimedes said that the bouyant force (pushing "up" in this hot-tub design) equals the weight of the water it displaces. So, you're right-- whatever lies above the water line is the mass you need to consider from a structural point-of-view. Yuri was just picturing the whole sh'bang above water, powered by... well, you know.

#-o [-X :-" :-#
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun May 30, 2010 7:55 am

Yes, it wouldn't take much to float it. Are you going to use that instant-hot heater you have and run it off propane or something?

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun May 30, 2010 8:19 am

Archemdes-
did you channel the Greek Goddess Naval Architecture??
If so, and you get in touch again, please ask her about the Bathes..
I've always wanted know, did they really lead to the fall of Rome-

The good news is this tub will be very simple, and therefore, should be completly fool---proof!!
if you get to drunk to kite in this tub you wont have more then 6" to fall, the only requirement is you'll have to wear a life jacket....... (C.G. rule, not mine)
L.mmmm.G.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun May 30, 2010 8:57 am

-UpDATe-
Change order #273: :o
foam and decking will be used in place of Inner-tubing,
material change is to avoid accidental sinking caused by failed rubber componets. #-o

sloughslut
Resident
Resident

Post by sloughslut » Sun May 30, 2010 9:59 am

worked on a house on the coast that had a hot tub that was heated buy a wood burning stove, it had a bunch of pipes going through the stove(heat exchanger) and one inlet pipe(low) and one outlet pipe(high) i think thats right. (the hot water rises theory i think)it didnt need any kind of pump the water would circulate from heat, a 4 hour fire and it was 100degres. i know it is to much to float but would be cool on beaver island. :angry-extinguishflame:
Riding used and closeout kites and boards from e-bay,craigslist,ikitesurf, and local surf shops.Now riding home made foils

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun May 30, 2010 11:56 am

now you are talking. You are gonna need alot of energy to heat and maintain that amount of water. The reality is unless you find an abundance of power near by you are not going to heat it to a theraputic temperature. But i am all in on helping make this. Sounds like a blast even if it was cold water. You just gotta make some fake steam come off the surface so you can trick the ladies into joining in.

Now if money was no object... i think making a tide powered generator would pretty cool. Then you can just go buy an actual heating element designed for this. But my college engineering classes never got me that far.

Either way, you rule for even attempting this greg!