YES!

All Off-Topic items not related to kiting can be posted here. Please post all For Sale items in the Classifieds Ads section.
Forum rules
Please post all For Sale items in the Classified Ads section. Thank you.
SalmonSlayer
Joey
Joey
Re: YES!

Post by SalmonSlayer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 pm

GracieMarie wrote:Dear PacificNorthwestChristianFundamentalistInsecureHomophopicMightBeUnconsciouslyGayWhiningWeenieDude:
Another fine example of open minded tolerance. It would have been a complete miss except the one part that you actually know (PNW) The rest is based on generalizations.

Economic impact??? Surely you can come up with a stronger argument than that. The gay marriage industry that did not exist ~ 1 year ago will be impacted?

I assume you support the legalization of polygamy and consenting adult siblings marrying each other.

Wouldn't that be consistent with your position?

Where are their rights?

Would you march in their parade?

Shouldn't anyone have the right to marry whomever they want? Are you drawing a line in the sand just like the pro prop 8 folks?

Yeah, we all have gay friends and many have gay siblings. I just dont wear it like a badge.

I have ask my gay and straight friends the same question I am asking you about their anti prop 8 position( I am from CA and still have many fiends and family there). Only one has said that consenting adults of any combo should be able to marry would be consistent with his position in opposition to prop 8. I have a lot of respect for this guy for not being afraid to answer these questions with an open mind.

Can you?

Just looking for some logic.

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:04 pm

Last time I checked this was a KITEBOARDING forum. Let's keep the politics out of it.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Loscocco wrote:wow this thread started out positive and went down hill. can't we all just get a bong... i mean get along?
I don't think it has at all - these are the realities of the issues we live with and what is going on now - discussing it is absolutely OK!

Greg is right though - throughout the whole Prop 8 issue and before and before I just think WTF do they care? How does it affect them? How does their life change? Much of it is based on religion and taught and perceived "family values". "Family values" and religion are often no more than the teachings from those who either fear or do not understand something. If you're not comfortable with the orientation of others, perhaps there is something worth examining within you. I'm much more offended by intolerant, uneducated and ignorant people that I am by people with a different orientation, because it is much more offensive!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Fassn8 wrote:Last time I checked this was a KITEBOARDING forum. Let's keep the politics out of it.
It's posted in Off-Topic...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:29 pm

I assume you support the legalization of polygamy and consenting adult siblings marrying each other.
That's not fair to make that assumptive leap and absurd as well. Not to mention, the biggest contributors to the Yes on 8 campaign were the Mormons who have been the most recent ones in US history to support polygamy. But that's beside the point.

It's a healthy debate, but there's nothing in anyone's Yes on 8 debate that is rational and legit. It's discriminatory, divisive, and fearful.

What I quoted above is to illustrate that it is no different than what people said many years ago when "colored" people were allowed to sit in the front of the bus and drink from the same water fountain. "Next thing you know, they will be able to vote and have rights!" To not discriminate and give everyone equal rights will not result in a nationwide outbreak of polygamy and incest, it's an argument without any basis other than an individuals personal fears and prejudices.

O:)

SalmonSlayer
Joey
Joey

Post by SalmonSlayer » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:31 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:... If you're not comfortable with the orientation of others, perhaps there is something worth examining within you. I'm much more offended by intolerant, uneducated and ignorant people that I am by people with a different orientation, because it is much more offensive!
Do you think the those that were for prop 8 were intolerant, uneducated and ignorant people?

I am more comfortable with the orientation of others than those that are intolerant of others with different tolerance levels.
SalmonSlayer wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:
Happy about Prop 8? Yeah, I guess anyone different than you shouldn't have equal rights. :roll:
Does your "anyone different" include polygamy and adult siblings marrying each other?
Still waiting for an answer. Where do you draw the line?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 pm

SalmonSlayer wrote:
BayAreaKite wrote:... If you're not comfortable with the orientation of others, perhaps there is something worth examining within you. I'm much more offended by intolerant, uneducated and ignorant people that I am by people with a different orientation, because it is much more offensive!
Do you think the those that were for prop 8 were intolerant, uneducated and ignorant people?
For everyone who voted for it, I would say at least one of three applied in each case.
Still waiting for an answer. Where do you draw the line?
Well, that's always seems to be the questions lots of folks within many different groups ask...
I am more comfortable with the orientation of others than those that are intolerant of others with different tolerance levels.
Is that why you paid the site a visit to tell us all that you were happy about Prop. 8? You're asking for it here and this is one you can't win.

You guys getting any good wind up there lately? We could sure use some here...

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:25 pm

:-({|=

average_male
Regular
Regular

Post by average_male » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 pm

I got to tell you, SalmonSlayer has a very solid point, if we give gay marriage the go-ahead, what's to stop siblings, mom and son, dad and daughter, grandma and dad from getting married? I mean, who are we to say no to them? they can't marry the ones they love? what about their civil rights? I never thought about that... anyone have an opinion on this? Is there even a law out that one can't marry a family member? and who's to say, you can only love one person, and that you can't marry the ones you love??? I should have paid attention in school...

GC,
So is the accent/speech real or fake? I mean do they talk like that to let others know their sexual preference? or is it an act, attitude to make them feel sexy? it just seems so contrived and unwarranted. There was a teacher at my middle school who talked like that, he ended up in jail for funny business with a student... don't know why they called it funny business, doesn't seem to funny to me.

SalmonSlayer
Joey
Joey

Post by SalmonSlayer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:07 am

BayAreaKite wrote:
That's not fair to make that assumptive leap and absurd as well. Not to mention, the biggest contributors to the Yes on 8 campaign were the Mormons who have been the most recent ones in US history to support polygamy. But that's beside the point.

It's a healthy debate, but there's nothing in anyone's Yes on 8 debate that is rational and legit. It's discriminatory, divisive, and fearful.

What I quoted above is to illustrate that it is no different than what people said many years ago when "colored" people were allowed to sit in the front of the bus and drink from the same water fountain. "Next thing you know, they will be able to vote and have rights!" To not discriminate and give everyone equal rights will not result in a nationwide outbreak of polygamy and incest, it's an argument without any basis other than an individuals personal fears and prejudices.

O:)

If your attempt to equate the struggles of Black America with the struggle for same sex marriage and prop 8 were accurate, don't you think you would find a sympathetic ear with the Black voter in CA? Apparently that is not the case.

"...an exit poll of California voters showed that black voters favored the measure by a margin of more than 2 to 1. Not only was the black vote weighted heavily in favor of Proposition 8,..."

source http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 1616.story

While 95% of blacks voted Democrat for Obama, greater than 2/3 voted for prop 8. Blacks consisted of ~10% of the CA ballots. Prop 8 lost with a 5% margin (52.5 percent to 47.5 percent). Had Black Democrats voted against Prop 8 in the same percentages that voted for Obama it would have never passed. So, who is discriminatory, divisive, and fearful? Was the black Democrat voter intolerant, uneducated and ignorant? Nope!!! Black, White, Gay Straight people voted their conscience just like when the people voted for Obama.

Even Obama believes the definition of marriage is a union of one man and one woman. Although he did oppose prop 8. Typical politician double speak that you hear from both sides of the aisle.

BTW. No I was not aware that Mormons were the biggest contributors to the Yes on 8 campaign. It does not surprise me though. This does support my statement about polygamy.

"That's not fair to make that assumptive leap and absurd as well."

What is absurd about my question? Perhaps I did not articulate the point, that I was trying to make with the question, very well.

Let em ask the question another way.

Are you willing to say that the definition of marriage should be between two unrelated, consenting adults regardless of gender? I believe that covers what prop 8 was against.

If you want to open up the definition of traditional marriage, I think you need to open it all the way up or leave it alone. I dont know how anyone can say that there is a middle ground There is no way to draw a line with out discriminating against another group in the same manor. If prop 8 did not pass I do not think there would be a bunch of incestuous marriages. I am not trying to create fear. Just trying to illustrate a point that it is anything goes.

I was glad the Prop 8 passed and Obama was elected because the people have spoken. Hence the "power to the people comment". We have a great process in this country and win or lose I respect the process when it is the vote of the people rather that legislated by politicians.

We are getting wind. 10m today out in the Sound. I forgot my booties so I used some topsiders. They worked surprisingly well. 20 -30 all day tomorrow. Winters are better than summer here.

The last word is yours if you want it.
Last edited by SalmonSlayer on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.