Economic failure impacts even kiteboarders

All Off-Topic items not related to kiting can be posted here. Please post all For Sale items in the Classifieds Ads section.
Forum rules
Please post all For Sale items in the Classified Ads section. Thank you.
Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Economic failure impacts even kiteboarders

Post by Loscocco » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:49 am

windhorny wrote:I've taken this opportunity to buy as much oil stocks and BRK/b i could afford.

hey Yuri. how many of the the BRK/a stocks are you getting? LOL you know how much each share is worth?
I got so many BRK/A stocks i use em for toilet paper.. :)
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:03 am

I promise you i know how much they are if i bought them :)

brk/B not /a. they are maintained at 1/30th the price at all times.

Also, keep a good look out for stocks like OXY. This is Tianna's dad's company. Anyways, my personal belief is that oil will have to go back up at some point, probably starting after the elcetion. Seems like a no brainer. No large oil company is going to fold.

With the BRK, I started seeing a very rideable wave that i have always wanted to play with. it's a first for me but the $1000 fluxuations occur almost every week. So why not buy a few and try to milk it while the market is volatile?

When in doubt, follow the rich.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 am

Diesel always used to be cheaper than gas all the time. There's almost no relationship between the two. Gas is used by consumers, diesel is used by truckers, farmers, and industry.

Diesel has been more expensive than gas for several years because U.S. refiners export alot of it to Europe whenever the dollar is low, and the Euro has been higher for a while. Europe runs more cars on diesel than gas. The European economy is now tanking just like ours.

Diesel is more expensive in CA than in other states because there aren't enough refineries here to supply the demand, so it has to be imported from other states during heavy use times of year (spring planting and fall harvest). I know guys who have 10,000 gallon tanks who hedge by buying diesel when it's cheap...most of them haven't used those tanks for several years, but they're probably all ordering truckloads right now.
Last edited by Bulldog on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41 pm

its really amazing how many products are reliant on petroleum.

jono
Regular
Regular

Post by jono » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Ollie:

Are you asking me to stop posting my views about this subject (which in your eyes and as you called me might be "panicky, perpetuating the problem, posting rumors")? It sounds like you are dropping hints, I just want to make sure I'm clear on what you are asking from me here. The characterizations (panicky, rumors, etc.) and are surprising.

I don't feel I'm posting rumors -- WAMU FAILED! They were over leveraged, made bad decisions, had no cash, got sold to JP for pennies on the dollar, and got spanked. This is how the market works, make bad decisions and pay the price. See the attachment for "rumor" -- it shows they were going to fail, take note of the 90-day+ delinquent mortgages. They were looking for a buyer when I posted that and I figured if they didn't find one in 3 days it was game over. And it was...

I don't share your buy-and-hold view, and I don't think anyone should take my views as investment advice -- most of the time I'm tongue in cheek about what I post so I don't know why you are getting on my case.

So, let me know what's up. Calling my views and ideas all those different things isn't the coolest thing, but I'm also not clear on why you feel it's your responsibility to keep me calm ;). I'm pretty calm seeing that I'm all cash and gold, but I'm super pissed these banks are getting hand-outs when the people in the homes that are the source of the problem get no love.
Attachments
wamu-alt-a-April.png
wamu-alt-a-April.png (27.66KiB)Viewed 11722 times
˙pǝʇɹǝʌuı ǝq ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:15 pm

No, Jon, it's cool. Your views are valid and honest, I just feel like if everyone followed suit and did the same, we would really be in a lot more trouble. Things well get better over time and as I said, I'm in for the long term. It's your opinion and by all means share, the only things I'd feel like I'd have to moderate here are personal attacks, offensive images and excessive promotion to benefit one's self, pretty basic stuff. I imagine the news we're seeing all the time is bad enough, without seeing more of it here, but, with that said, it's my choice on whether I want to read it or not. It is posted in Off-Topic afterall, so please carry on. :wink:

But, you should consider buying some stocks now! :P

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Hmm,

"picture of butt"

here

North north north

buy sell buy sell

milks gone bad

damn shingles!

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 pm

So funny, hahahahahaha.... =D> \:D/ :axe: :partyman:

jono
Regular
Regular

Post by jono » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Yeah, I understand, it's crazy right now. I'll start a Politics/Election thread to cool things off a bit.

I'm not a bull or a bear, just a realist. I've been planning for this shit for a long time -- housing had to blow up (1K sqft for $1M?), but I didn't know if it would take the whole market with it.

I look at sectors, not companies -- too much of the market is program traded so all you can hope to do is be in the same sector with the "elephant's footprints" (big traders buying in).

I DO NOT think it's time to buy ;) -- unless it's the 401Keg plan (see below).

Here's some actual tips:

If the markets are freaking, there are all kinds of crazy ETFs. Proshares has dow jones, real estate, financial, etc. You buy some of the regular shares, and buy some of the *UltraShort* shares (like Yin and Yang). Then when one goes up you sell, the other goes up you sell. It's CRAZY!!! One goes up, the other goes down ;) -- sell on the up and sell on the down. Market crashes, you make money, market rockets, you make money. It's like financial Xanax. But, you do have to watch things or set stops.

http://www.finviz.com (crazy charting site, stock screens, etc.)

http://www.zecco.com (10 free trades/month AND you can see what trades people who are making money make)

Found on the Interwebs:

If you bought $1000 of stock a year ago, you would now have:

$91.28 if you bought Washington Mutual

$37.50 if you bought Neomagic

$21.29 if you bought Freddie Mac

$20.79 if you bought Fannie Mae

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the recycling REFUND... You would have $... 214.00 in cash.

So the best investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

It's called the 401-Keg Plan
˙pǝʇɹǝʌuı ǝq ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 pm

I used to collect all the cans, but after a few months or sorting crushing and storing cans which all takes some time, I then loaded them up, drove to a redemption center at Safeway and waited in line. When it was my turn, the guy weighed everything up, wrote a receipt to give me, I went into the store, waited in line and redeemed my coupon and got $17 and change. The cans now go into the recycling to benefit the local recycling collection company, who is probably more efficient at it than I am and may find it cost effective on a volume basis.