Pt. Reyes

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:34 am

K -- Dillon is actually closer to drive to from the Valley than Pt. Reyes even though it looks farther away. The wind is side on and there is a huge area on the inside where the waves are knee high.

You could also hit Bodega Bay and kite in the harbor, no waves at all. Similar drive time.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 am

Ahh, that makes sense, fearlu. NW is offshore there.
The break that I'm referring to is on the other side, exposed to the open water.

fearlu said:

The beach that people ride there is traditionally referred to as "Tubamancha" and it lies on the south-southwest facing side of the peninsula along the Limantour Spit. (I'm not aware of anyone riding in on-shore conditions on the northside during NW winds, but I'm not a local there, so maybe there are other options.)
Kevin,

I'm not a local there as well, but I used to train there on a limited schedule back in my mid 20's running at the beaches before a fun 10k cross country race.

If you have time, check out the beach North of Point Reyes LightHouse.

Take Sir Francis Drake Blvd and make a right on S Beach Rd just before the lighthouse signs. Check it out on the google maps, it has been a very long time since I have been there.

There's a parking lot at the end of the road. Beach is practically right beside the lot. Its beautiful in the mornings if you are into running and hiking, but nuking winds in the afternoon. The beach is long and wide and safe enough for launching, as I try to recall.

Never seen any wind surfers there, so either:
  • its untapped territory waiting to be discovered
  • Its a secret spot and I'm about to get vibed by locals because I just posted the directions. :wink:
  • its too sketchy for riding.
The winds there are definitely consistent though. So, definitely need more info for the break. I don't recall the direction since I was not paying attention to wind conditions at that time. All I remember was it was too windy for my running session after lunch. If its offshore at Tubamancha, then maybe it can be side on shore on the other side.

If you go there, let us know. Hell, maybe I'll just drive there on a weekend and scope/scout it out for myself. I'll send you a pm if I decide to go.

Rey

Kevin said:

Any launch that's side on, do you know of one Ray? or is it Rey? Hell I still have some climbing ropes in the garage and I wouldn't mind repelling down to a nice little site if necessary. Just as long as it's a short climb up! Jeese I'm getting lazy.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:19 pm

North side of Pt. Reyes has many issues:

I've been to both North and South beach when it was cranking 35 knots or better just a couple hundred meters off shore but not filling into the beach.

The beach is very steep and the waves break hard and right on shore. There are no real rideable waves. These beaches face directly into the fetch for our mean north swells. I've seen North beach chest high when places like Ocean Beach were flat. Drowning is definitely a high probability in any swell likely to come along with the wind necessary to kite there.

Localism? You won't see them coming and they have big, sharp teeth.

You'll find the same locals at Tuba (maybe a few more of them) but with the offshore winds, you'll want to bring a gun and one bullet for when you break down.

Best to go to Dillon as Bulldog mentioned it's a shorter drive and much better kiting on average.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:46 am

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks you guy's, we're heading to Bodega.
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.

707kiteguy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 707kiteguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Pt. Reyes is great on nw winds. But your balls have to be realy big, it is the most unforgiving coastal break in ca. The furthest west you can go on the coast. The strongest wind, current, waves & sharks. Enter at your own risk!! :shock:

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:08 am

There is a lagoon on the NW side of Pt Reyes off of Pierce Point Road. It's about 1500 feet wide perpendicular to the wind direction. I've never scoped it but from looking at the aerial photo it appears to have great potential as an unridded flat water spot. Has anyone ever seen or kited there?

707kiteguy
Contributor
Contributor

abotts lagoon yes!

Post by 707kiteguy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:36 am

Ya, abotts lagoon hell of a walk down to the lower section just in from beach.
The dunes are low on both sides and yes it is kitable. Good eye!!
Nw winds blow off shore similar to floras lake-glass butter. Water quality is questionable being below 2 daires, no drinking!!

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:08 pm

ummmmm, lake-glass butter.......

Abotts lagoon is high on the priority list.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Abbotts Lagoon
Attachments
39ocean.jpg
39ocean.jpg (43.66KiB)Viewed 15934 times
38lagoon.jpg
38lagoon.jpg (44.4KiB)Viewed 15934 times