Pt. Reyes

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
K. Cliff
Regular
Regular
Pt. Reyes

Post by K. Cliff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:00 am

What's the skinny on Pt. Reyes? How to get there, parking, launch, best wind direction, do's and dont's etc. Thanks!

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:24 am

It's off-shore conditions on the windiest days there in the springtime. I'm not saying "don't go", but head's-up. There's a reason why very few people ride there. If something goes awry you could be in for a high-risk situation. A similar set-up is available at Doran Beach in Bodega Bay with the watchful eye of the Coast Guard nearby. The waves don't wrap like they do at Pt. Reyes/Tubamancha but there is a greater chance that someone could respond if you are headed out to sea.

I'm cold just thinkin' about it!
Go bigga'

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:34 am

How are you going to self rescue in offshore winds?????????

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 am

For me to self rescue in offshore winds is to not kite in them 8) . The meteogram is calling for NW winds all day tomorrow, would this be offshore? (honest question). What road takes us to the launch?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:28 am

NW is off-shore fo' sho'. I will not reveal the road since I want you to go somewhere safer! Like Dillon or Roosevelt or...
Go bigga'

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:34 am

10-4, Thanks Dave your advice is always respected.
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:55 am

in other words you might want to bring a waterproof book to read while your floating out there.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 am

I'm sorry for barging in, but I'm a little bit confused about the wind direction.

If its going NortWest and the wind hits Point Reyes North of the light house, that should be side on shore, and west north west is onshore, no? Which break are you referring to Kev?

I was looking at the google maps north of the Point Reyes light house, Point Reyes National Seashore along St Francis Drake Bld.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 am

The beach that people ride there is traditionally referred to as "Tubamancha" and it lies on the south-southwest facing side of the peninsula along the Limantour Spit. (I'm not aware of anyone riding in on-shore conditions on the northside during NW winds, but I'm not a local there, so maybe there are other options.)
Go bigga'

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 am

reyrivera wrote: Which break are you referring to Kev?
Any launch that's side on, do you know of one Ray? or is it Rey? Hell I still have some climbing ropes in the garage and I wouldn't mind repelling down to a nice little site if necessary. Just as long as it's a short climb up! Jeese I'm getting lazy.