Lessons near S. Bay

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
scatmandu
Contributor
Contributor
Lessons near S. Bay

Post by scatmandu » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:39 am

Hey Everybody,
I'm looking for some advice. I have taken a full day lesson and feel very comfortable with the kite on the ground and in the water without the board. These are the things I'm confident on:
Set up of the kite
Wind Theory
Self Rescue
Assisted and Self-launch
Most of the basics, etc.

I have not, however, been able to get up on the board yet. I have all of my own gear to include a 12M and 15M kite, twin-tip and directional boards, harness and wetsuit. I'm simply looking to spend a couple of hours in the water with someone who can help me get up on the board and started, and time permitting, maybe start working on going upwind. I don't know if that's a bridge too far, but I'd like to try.

Could you give me some advice on a location and school that could help me out? I would like to do this as early as this friday, if possible.
Thanks
Scat

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:36 am

Take a water lesson from Kite Wind Surf the shop in Alameda - the jet ski based lesson will take you to the best spot for wind on any particular day.

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Lessons; Specific

Post by Don Bogardus » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:41 am

I am a Instructor for BoardsportsSchool.com at Alameda.

Alameda is the perfect place to have a lesson/practise session.
Conditions are not favorable right now thru the coming weekend.

Since you driving so far, I would wait till the North Pacific High
establishes in a week or two, (hopefully), then scheduale a lesson.

Southerly storm winds are very fickle, and poor quality. :)

doubledogdare
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by doubledogdare » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:57 pm

Scat,

I would highly recommend another lesson with a waverunner. Your learning curve will increase dramatically. For one you will have someone nearby critiquing your every move and second you will spend more time on the board rather than bodydragging (the waverunner can quickly retrieve your board and assist with relaunch if needed).

When I was learning I actually took 3 lessons from Kitopia at Shermin with a waverunner then I took another lesson with OOTO (no waverunner) at Coyote Pt just to give me a little reassurance in the bay. It may have been a little overkill with the lessons but by the time I was ready to go alone I felt confident and SAFE.

Anyway, thats my 2cents. Hope that helps.

ddd