Fall is here, waves are back

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
Don
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Don » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:46 pm

Ollie; Perhaps these "tips" could make their way to the "Bay Area Kiteboarding Forum Index ª San Francisco Bay Area Kiteboarding Resources ª SF Bay Area Kiteboarding Locations & Guidelines ª [Coast] Waddell Creek" page.

Having watched the 'rotation' for a few hours late one afternoon on a weekend drive-by, one cannot miss the extension on the surfing pattern.

Way to go Gabe =D> Your proactive guidance really helps me prepare for a cooperative, safe and friendly first-time on the waves. Hope to see ya out there sometime.

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:43 pm

One little thing I noticed at waddell a couple of weekends ago that Gabe did not mention, and it bugged me a bit until I got used to it. Let's say we are outside the break working upwind. When two kites meet on opposite tacks in the bay, the upwind guy will hold his kite pretty high, and the downwind rider stays low, and keeps working upwind.

At waddell, it took me a bit to get used to the fact that the upwind rider is only going to give you maybe 20 degrees of separation. In other words, in the bay, the upwind kite is at 11, at waddell, expect around 10. At first, I was a bit ticked when I was downwind, and I had to keep my kite really low to avoid the upwind kite. After a bit, I understand that it is more efficient for the upwind kite to stay fairly low, and since most kiters are pretty darn good, the downwind guy should not have a prob with his kite on the deck.

I thought is was just one person at first, but then noticed it was kinda regular. One other thing for guys wanting some at waddell....get there early on the weekend. I was down with the fam, and we all had a great time on the mid peak from noon to 3. After three, the locals we all know show up and dominate...

bob

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:45 pm

GOOD INFO!! I honestly never really knew the rules but always tried to stay out of peoples way there and watch and learn. I usually headed way out anyway because I am not a wave master. I can ride the wave in but getting back out past them was difficult sometimes. Good to have some kind of structre to go by.

coast guest

wave info

Post by coast guest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:36 am

Gabe - great post brother....if people paid attention to this, life in the waves would be so much more IRE!!!

Let me add to your list:
1. That cool new jump you learned over the summer, DON"T practice it in the impact zone - where the waves break. Go to the outside and huck yourself all you want. The waves present a different type of riding environment....if you want to do freestyle stuff - tricks and jumps - just make sure you don't get in people way (those riding waves, going through the impact zone to get outside)

2. If I am on the peak and upwind of you, please don't poach my wave by thinking - I"m far enough from him, I can share this wave....you don't know when I will turn, how fast I travel downwind, etc.....my bros who have ridden with me, can do this.....please don't assume you are one, please.

All of the suggestions listed by Gabe are meant to increase everyone's enjoyment of this incredible kiting environment. As the wave size increases, these guidelines need to be observed with more rigor. Mother nature and Karma know when you are not practicing guidelines with good integrity........

Good wind + waves, Zeev.

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:50 pm

Z I think earlier this year you probably kited some of the biggest waves ever so you definitly get the right of way in my book!

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Also, don't tailgate going out through the break. Since people need to give right of way to incoming riders often you must jibe quickly to avoid them and yet avoid the falls on the shoreward wave. This is a pain if someone's on your ass. Not like we really have this problem on the Oregon coast. A crowded day is 5 kites on your 10 mile stretch of beach. :P