Water Contamination (Spring 2014)

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.

Moderators: BayAreaKite, WindMuch

Water Contamination (Spring 2014)

Postby metabon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 pm

water_3rd.jpg
water_3rd.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 746 times

I saw this sign at 3rd today and called the number - apparently there's a bacterial contamination that can lead to flu-like symptoms. Has anybody gotten sick?

There doesn't seem to be any up-to-date SF Bay water quality information online, but I came across an interesting, but worrying article on maintaining water quality in the Delta: Record Drought Could Hurt Water Quality. Sounds like we're in for a Microcystis algae bloom at Sherman, has this been a problem in the past?

I also came across this interesting fact: 150 years ago, hydraulic gold mining in the Sierra Nevada caused a silt buildup in the Bay that is only now starting to clear! (Does this mean an end to low tide mud baths at 3rd?)
metabon
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Water Contamination (Spring 2014)

Postby jsin138 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks for the post. I was out on Sunday & have not had any ill symptoms. I launched from the upper, so didn't see any signage. This did promote some self education on water quality I'll share.

SMC tests 43 sites each week & reports the high indicated warning locations to this site:
http://www.smchealth.org/environ/beaches

There is also a map with more detailed data available:
http://bit.ly/IlDhGP

Here's the available data from 3rd Ave (Kiteboard Beach)

Warnings are issued-
when single samples exceed 10,000 Total Coliform, 400 E. coli, or 104 Enterococci, 
or when a 5-week geometric mean exceeds 1,000 Total Coliform, 200 E. coli or 35 Enterococci.

As someone who knows very little about this, I'm guessing these high levels are due to the recent rains. Also interesting to note that the tested areas around 3rd Ave; Coyote Pt., Aquatic Park, etc. had exponentially higher contamination readings.
jsin138
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby bschwagg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

Wow, that is really disturbing. I think I swallowed some water out there Monday, but my skin hasn't turned glowing green yet, or whatever e-coli does.

Does anyone know who puts up the sign? We did see it when we left, but I definitely wouldn't have kited if I knew ahead of time. Maybe we could ask whoever puts it up to send us a note, so we can post it on this forum. I usually read this about once a day or so, and I assume other people do, so it would actually go a long way to get the word out.
bschwagg
Joey
Joey

Postby wjb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am

Uh, is this really news...
Attachments
water_3rd.jpg
water_3rd.jpg (42.34 KiB) Viewed 670 times
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot
wjb
Regular
Regular

Postby turbinedude » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Friggin Old Guy needs to get his catheter check out again. That might explain the 2/10 spike.
turbinedude
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby WindMuch » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 pm

turbinedude wrote:Friggin Old Guy needs to get his catheter check out again. That might explain the 2/10 spike.

I rode with FOG on coast today. I can pretty much assure you, 3rd Ave isn't a place he frequents, catheter or no...

Kirk out
WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Postby jsin138 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:55 am

bschwagg wrote:Does anyone know who puts up the sign? ... Maybe we could ask whoever puts it up to send us a note, so we can post it on this forum. I usually read this about once a day or so, and I assume other people do, so it would actually go a long way to get the word out.

The links I posted above have the info you're lookin' for. You can even sign up for email updates if you're so inclined.
jsin138
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mcfly777 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Based on the list of beaches with contamination (as of Feb 20), 3rd is no longer on the list. Samples were collected Monday morning.

From the site:
-----------
The following locations have elevated levels of indicator bacteria and are posted with warning signs:

This list was last updated February 20, 2014 based on samples collected Monday morning.

Ocean Beaches:
The following beaches have elevated levels of indicator bacteria and are posted:

Fitzgerald Marine Reserve
Pllar Point #5 (Capistrano Beach)
Pillar Point #7 (Surf at end West Point)
Pillar Point #9 (Outer Harbor)
San Gregorio Beach
Other Locations: The following Creeks, Lakes, Lagoons, Bay Beaches, Ditches, and/or Storm Drains have elevated levels of indicator bacteria and have been posted:

Creeks (where they meet or cross the beach):
San Vicente (at Fitzgerald Marine Reserve)
San Gregorio Creek

Bay Beaches
Oyster Point
Parkside Aquatic Park (on the Marina Lagoon)
Lakeshore Park (Behind the Rec Center)
2012 Naish Park 12m, 2010 Naish Cult 10m
2013 Crazyfly Raptor Pro
mcfly777
Contributor
Contributor

Return to SF Bay Area Kiteboarding Locations & Guidelines