[North Bay] Larkspur Landing

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
[North Bay] Larkspur Landing

Post by OliverG » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 pm

Image Larkspur Landing

There are three ways to kite Larkspur. If you have a surf board or a kayak you can paddle from the prison side over to the marsh on the west side of the bay. There is a Wipika flag out there and that's where you want to setup. You can also park over on the west side at the Lucky Drive exit of hwy 101 and walk to the same location. There are some empty water jugs out there you can fill with water and use to self launch. It is tricky though and I recommend having a partner. The third way to kite larkspur is from the south side out by the Montessori school. You can park pretty close and setup in the marsh. It is usually side offshore so be careful on your launch. There also tends to be a bit of a wind hole right there so expect the wind to pick up once you make it a couple hundred yards offshore. On the same note don't count on being able to make it all the way back up wind. It is safest to kite Larkspur with a partner that way you can park a car on each side of the bay.

If you should wind up down wind on the prison side you really only have two choices as to how to land. You can have someone waiting to catch your kite on the west beach (that would be preferable) or you can land your kite in the water and wrap up your lines before you get out. Either way you are going to wind up with some cuts on your feet as it is very rocky. I like to take a pair of booties and put a caribeaner on my harness. I use them to launch and land and clip them to my harness while I'm riding. Good luck!

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Re: [North Bay] Larkspur Landing

Post by Live2KITE » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:51 pm

Feel free to contact the local shop right in front of the parking lot in Larkspur (http://www.live2kite.com) for more details.
There is great Stand Up Paddleboarding right from the same spot, for some of the best flat water cruising with beautiful open Bay Views around.

Live2kite.com
44 Industrial Way
Greenbrae, CA 94904
Last edited by Live2KITE on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbirdmarin
Regular
Regular

Post by jbirdmarin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Not really sure why this is posting now, no consistent wind in Larkspur until March. Just to clarify since Ollie's post WAY back in 2004 - it is verbotten to launch from the south shores of Larkspur/Corte Madera (Montessori school, triangle marsh). This is Audobohn protected marsh these days. Anyway, that shoreline (if you can call it that) is either direct up or downwind.

edented
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edented » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:55 am

I was checking out the traffic before my morning commute in satellite view and something caught my eye - the telltale signs of kites! I don't know when the sat image was taken... 2014?
san-raphael-kiting.jpg
san-raphael-kiting.jpg (102.13KiB)Viewed 17626 times
So- is that an okay spot to launch from? (its the tiny spit next to a channel into the marsh) I like the idea of having a car over by the prison to end with a downwinder a SSW day. Otherwise how is this area ridden?

As the location is an old old post, can someone who has ridden there do an update? (ignoring the first rule)

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 am

Hello, I am sure a local rider would have more info, and the people at live2kite shop.
I have only kited there before it was discovered so to speak.
What ever you do, you do not want to end up on prison grounds, you will not be welcome.
As for a down winder to San quenton village beach, it is wind shadowed and after that is the richmond/san rafael bridge, you do not want to be anywhere near that.
The little spit is it for launching. It is surrounded by protected marsh for the california clapper rail bird.You are being monitored by the Audobon Society and the DFG.
I suggest hooking up with the local crew and not venture out without watching how the locals launch and sail there.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/244902614/ClapperRailMar10v3

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 am

Like Jeff said.
Just get in touch with live 2 kite, and take your ID with you...
...just in case you end up on prison ground.
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

CalebYoslovSailing
Joey
Joey

Post by CalebYoslovSailing » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 pm

I made this little diagram for a friend about kiting over in Larkspur Landing. Hope it helps!

I also noticed that there are no longer water jugs or fixed points to self launch from so either you need a second person to help or you can just drift launch.
Attachments
Kitinglarkspur.png
Kitinglarkspur.png (757.09KiB)Viewed 12599 times
Last edited by CalebYoslovSailing on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Soprano
Resident
Resident

Post by Tony Soprano » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 am

CalebYoslovSailing wrote:I made this little diagram for a friend about kiting over in Larkspur Landing. Hope it helps!

I also noticed that there are no longer water jugs or fixed points to self launch from so either you need a second person to help or you can just drift launch.

Pardon the artistically challenged drawings...

This fence put in by the Audubon Society. Does it impede ite access now ?

http://www.marinij.com/environment-and- ... e-maderans

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:30 pm

I saw two kiters out there Friday (7/20) when I was on my way to Brickyards, how was it?

ozreiuosn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ozreiuosn » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:21 am

So I wanted to confirm the map Caleb left and add more details. Took some pictures.

It was approximately 630pm: pretty warm, 8-10mph winds, the tide was at about a 2.5' low tide.

To get there you can park anywhere on the street at the end of Industrial. Then you walk out to the East, to the obvious dog/walk path. Yes, in the past you were able to walk straight through. Don't be a dick, stick to the path so we don't piss of the conservationists even more. You can do a little bit of walking for the sake of keeping this site accessible.

Do make sure you've locked up your car/hidden valuables. The place is relatively chill, but there are drifters/transients that come through. These trails are also fairly active with dog walkers, bicyclists, etc, don't leave anything in your kite bags/whatever in the launch area.

The walk out there from wasn't any longer than say the walk to the upper launch from the golf parking lot at 3rd.

That launch is gnarly. Nothing to attach to, the only way I can see a self-launch happening here is if you have one of those stakes to attach to. Then you have to step down some tiny cliffs, maybe they disappear at high tide. But as soon as you get out you have to dodge to poles sticking out of the water, who know how many more are out there.

Be respectful when you do come out here, we almost lost it entirely. Truth be told, its not that great of a spot, its one of those you keep in your back pocket in desperation to get your wind fix. But even there are several other better spots not too far from here.