Just bought my lessons!!

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member
Just bought my lessons!!

Post by jwest21 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:21 am

Grabbed today's San Jose groupon for KGB Kiteboard 4-hour lesson and I'm SOOOOOO EXCITED! Probably need to wait a few weeks until I'll have a chance to use it but it's one giant leap forward on my path to flying. Can anyone make suggestions as to when, who and which location to do it. Seemed like the Marina location uses WaveRunners but not at Robert's Landing beach and I really have to watch the extended forecasts for an appropriate time to go.

Aaaaaa, I can't wait! :dance: :D :dance:
Sold all my gear; ebbs and flows; see you next season.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Re: Just bought my lessons!!

Post by jwest21 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:57 pm

Does anybody have a progression training DVD I could borrow; basically out of online videos to watch.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 am

Get a 3m trainer kite and get to the beach.
That will help you more than watching video all day :wink:
Kites: 2020 F-One Bandit: 10m.
Board: 2018 F-One Slice 5'1 Surf/Foil convertible
Harness: Manera Union.
Wetsuit: Manera 5/4 X10D

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 am

Already got a 3m that I've put in about 5-6 hours on and planning more before my lesson. I've also bought a cheap used landboard that I've been strapping into to practice pulling myself up and going, though the limited area of the beach I can attempt riding is always crowded. #-o

The first 20-30 minutes of the video was all review of everything I've read or watched online, but for the rest, watching the movements and visualizing myself doing it is just one more step I'm hoping will progress me super-fast. Plus, it never hurts to learn about safety procedures and how to correctly handle the kite by reading, watching and doing it over and over. I'm also the type of person who memorizes through writing so I'll probably start making lists, such as: when landing with an untrained assistant, it's imperative they know a) to grab the inflated tube (leading edge), never trailing edge; b) never grab the lines; c) don't let go of the kite until I've retrieved it from you

I've also got a good friend that bought the Groupon and has been working with my trainer + research + watching videos for a few weks too. I'm really hoping if there's a third person in our group (limit of 3 at KGB), they come in more prepared than just "I'ma learn to fly a kite." I'm going to have the time of my life regardless though.

— Albert Einstein

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:16 am

jwest21 wrote:such as: when landing with an untrained assistant, it's imperative they know a) to grab the inflated tube (leading edge), never trailing edge; b) never grab the lines; c) don't let go of the kite until I've retrieved it from you
I'd rather self land than asking a non-kiter to grab my kite. :?
And if you don't know how to self land, just do a self-rescue then.
Because kiters or non-kiters around, once you'll be up and riding, chances are you'll go far downwind, and maybe nobody will be there to catch your kite.
Plus, I think practicing self-rescue when you don't need it and close to shore is a good training for when you are gonna need it far from shore and for a reason.

As far as the video, I'm a "visual" too, so I understand what you mean.
I have:
_ kiteboarding 101 and 201
_ Progression "beginner"
_ The complete kiteboarding guide

I'll be happy to burn a copy for you. I live in the mission and work in pac heights. So whichever is more convenient for you to pick those up. :wink:

jwest21
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by jwest21 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 am

I appreciate the offer and might take you up on it for a copy of kiteboarding 101 and the complete kiteboarding guide, I got the progression beginner from someone else on here a few days ago. We could also meet up at the beach on a day you were planning on heading out, I'll bring some beer and make a few friends while I do some trainer flying.

Do you usually head out to 3rd Ave? Ocean Beach?

harpo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by harpo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 am

here are some links that I found on nwkite that may be useful for you:

iphone / android apps:
http://www.rhythmicspark.com/products.html

Also kitefilm.com has almost every trick (plus begginning videos) for you to download or stream:
http://kitefilm.com/eng/weeklytrick.asp

le noun
Old School
Old School

Post by le noun » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:00 am

I'm usually at 3rd ave. :wink: