Best Bay Area Kiting Instruction?

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Women may feel more comfortable getting lessons from another women..
I suggest Sandy at kitopia, and a wonderfull addition to Sandy's service is Ella, a very accomplished young rider/instructor.
Dana Pinto used to teach out of the Santa Cruz area, buy I havn't seen her for several years. Dana was one of the top women kiters and was said to give excellent instruction, you may be able to find her by contacting Caution Kites.
L.M.G.

windsaloft
Joey
Joey

Post by windsaloft » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 pm

I ran across Ovi, quite by chance, a few days ago at Oyster Point where I was helping a friend with his sailboat repair. Am closing the deal on a kitesetup (end of season closeout but top end gear) and plan to get a private lesson with Ovi soon after, before the winds start to die. I can launch, land, body drag, self rescue, and unsnarl things, but am just at the point of trial and error water launching --- the phase where a well placed tip will pay off in spades. So --- Just a couple of hours of coaching will get me to a place to safely learn trial and error.

I must be addicted -- I am already panicked about the wind season ending too soon.......and figuring where I am going to go with my free airline tickets I "won" for being bumped a few months back.... :=)_ Where is there good wind and warmth in Oct/Nov? S Padre?

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by recoprianto » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Where is there good wind and warmth in Oct/Nov? S Padre?
La Ventana should be firing up around that time...

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Has the kidnappings and harassing of surfers and tourists by bandidos ebbed over there?

It seems every time I visit Mexico, I always have to carry an extra wallet with some cash so we I get pulled over, I give the extra wallet to the authorities...

rodel_anicete
Joey
Joey

Re: Best Bay Area Kiting Instruction?

Post by rodel_anicete » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:43 pm

I also started late. I would not recomend the one in alameda. I took my lessons there and wasted my money. I would recomend kitopia. I took a lesson from Sandy last weekend and it was very good.

take care.

recoprianto
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re:

Post by recoprianto » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:30 am

Has the kidnappings and harassing of surfers and tourists by bandidos ebbed over there?

It seems every time I visit Mexico, I always have to carry an extra wallet with some cash so we I get pulled over, I give the extra wallet to the authorities...
Your right, everyone should probably stay within the safety of their McMansions in suburb hell.

I would not let the occasional robbery deter anyone from exploring the world, with that mindset, every major metropolitan area in the world (including the US) would be off limits.

It is a statistical proof that there is less of a chance that anything of note will ever happen to you if you never go anywhere or do anything beyond your realm of comfort.

Maybe I am lucky, but I travel often and am still alive.

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: Best Bay Area Kiting Instruction?

Post by reyrivera » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am

I'm not saying don't go because of some serious problems that somebody can encounter, just be aware of the situation and be prepared for the consequences if you end up at the bad end of the stick.

Some places are volatile that you want to avoid, others, ... well, its up to the traveler to assess his/her risks.