Best Bay Area Kiting Instruction?

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
Captain John
SFBA Member
SFBA Member

Post by Captain John » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:11 pm

I teach off of Treasure Island, well actually I teach off a boat in the waters surrounding Treasure Island. It's really nice to be able to access the windy spots and not have to worry about crowds and obstacles that the land-base lessons can have. Later, you'll develop skills to handle the land situations...
First We fly a full size kite from the boat. There's a special way of doing it so you don't have be hooked-in. This really helps to give you a relaxed sense of control, which is nice to develop early on. When you're comfortable with handling the kite, (able to dictate and anticipate its motion) then you'll get hooked up to the kite, get in the water, and then get used to the "pulling" sensation, aka "bodydragging". When you display good control in the water, then you'll get the board to add to the equation. You see, there are stages to getting more comfortable with everything.

For board skills, you have the opportunity to ride a board without a flying a kite! Riding with the KitePole feeling like you're riding with a kite, except you don't have to be responsible for flying the kite. It's is an isolated training exercise, designed to help you get comfortable with board-riding. Then, when it's time to put it all together, you (and your body) have a better inclination of how everything should go together.

KiteTheBay.com
Attachments
ktb_DSCN6111_1500px.jpg
ktb_DSCN6111_1500px.jpg (547.88KiB)Viewed 10551 times
Last edited by Captain John on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

gnukid
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by gnukid » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:37 pm

Ovi is mentioned most...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:33 pm

personally I'd have to say I'm the best instructor, but I'm not an instructor..

Today I took a friend out with the ski, along the way I ran into a guy that was stranded on a little beach, I took him along.
First I got Dave going then I took my new friend out.. He was a little shaken from his earlyer experance but we worked into it. First thing I did with both Dave and Mike was take away there board leashes. We worked on controlled body dragging and getting back to your board, then they got the board and eventually both guys got some pretty long rides in..
At one point it looked like Mike was going to tucker out before we got him really riding. Then I happened, he poped up and kept it going, after about 10 seconds he looks back with this HUGH SMILE on his face at which point I yelled, look where your going!! I proceeded to laugh and cheer for another few hundred yards untell he completely wiped out!! It was GREAT!

Later, after we'd said our good-bye's Dave said to me, He told me this was it, if he'd didn't get a ride he was going to quit. He'd taken lessons and attempted to kite on his own for about 6 weeks to no avail.. I sure was glade I didn't give up on him, now he's STOKED!

Good times had by all,
L.M.G.

windsaloft
Joey
Joey

Post by windsaloft » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:21 pm

LMG -
Want another student? :=)
Have done the trainer kite / ground lesson / water lesson ski assist with KWS, but with two students and one instructor and late arriving wind, didn't get to where I'd hoped --- just starting to do water starts, did some excellent adelie penguin launches, and a couple of up for 3-4 second rides, but didn't get up and going.........
Feel like I need one more water session, but not able to chuck out another 300-450 for it.......

Ideas?

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 pm

you should not need one anymore at this point. commitment is the key.

lacasaverde
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Get more lessons PLEASE!

Post by lacasaverde » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:47 pm

you should not need one anymore at this point. commitment is the key.
You're kidding right?! :shock:

Please windsaloft get someone to monitor you VERY closely on the water until you are confidently riding upwind. Maybe if you bribe LMG in the properly respectful manner to which he is due, you might be able to garner his sage advice and assistance.

Alternativeyl, keep working your a** off and saving those dollars. The investment is worth it. (Check out the thread about the kiter who was airlifted out of Sherman Island.) In the meantime keep practicing with your trainer and visualize what you want to do on the water!!

Safety first! :mrgreen:

vdeub
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by vdeub » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:23 am

it always better to take lessons / to have friends to watch your back. but after 2x3h land lessons and water lessons, you should be safe enough body dragging, launching, and self rescue. At least, that was it for me. after it took me weeks to water-start properly and months to go upwind.
if i took lessons for each session during this apprentice time, i ll be broke at this point. my personal mistale was to be cheap on the gear and buy poor kites - at least from a beginner perspective. But i agree, safety first, and if you re not confortable to start - body drag - and stop, take another one, at least.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:45 am

Lessons are expensive, but they will really help your learning curve.
L.M.G.

baypirate
Regular
Regular

Post by baypirate » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:37 am

I'll put a plug here for Kite415. Not only is Ovi a great guy, but he has a really focused approach, having you practicing the few critical things that you need in order to get out on the water by yourself, both to stay safe and to be effective. I think as a beginner wasting your sessions by fighting the kite and chasing the board are the biggest obstacles to improving past lessons; thankfully I had to do very little of either after my kite415 lessons.

He teaches one-on-one, going out on the jetski near the airport from the Oyster Point Marina, very reliable wind. I also found splitting the water lessons in two parts very helpful, otherwise there are too many things going on at the same time and muscle mechanics don't sink in.

I had a great time and I never felt overwhelmed going out by self after the lessons.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Women may feel more comfortable getting lessons from another women..
I suggest Sandy at kitopia, and a wonderfull addition to Sandy's service is Ella, a very accomplished young rider/instructor.
Dana Pinto used to teach out of the Santa Cruz area, buy I havn't seen her for several years. Dana was one of the top women kiters and was said to give excellent instruction, you may be able to find her by contacting Caution Kites.
L.M.G.