Alameda - Safety Reminder

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:44 pm

Kudos to you brother Rey... =D> \:D/
RRD, Mystic

jbirdmarin
Regular
Regular

Post by jbirdmarin » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:45 am

Some strings last month were right on in not overreacting to possible beach closures, and balanced with the need for diligent safety practices, self-policing, and assisted rescues.

This is today's string at HB where the reality of getting shut down is now when stupid kiting practices jeopardize safety. I'm not comparing Bay Area kiting to HB, but it's another reminder that we need to be responsible not only for our own, but other kiters' actions or face the consequences eventually. That means going out of our way sometimes - I know I can do better at that in the future.

http://forums.ikitesurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=10821

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:59 am

How do we deal with new kiters with zero experience launching on the beach then?

Last year, I kited exclusively in Alameda until I'm confident enough to ride other breaks. Now I only ride there on weekends or with my newbie kiter girlfriend to keep her and beach goers out of harms way.

I purposely launched regularly downwind of the shack so I can keep an eye on crashed kites and help recover beginner gear. What drives me nuts is some of the beginners don't release their quick release and flag the kites even though they see waders and swimmers near them. I think a little bit of common sense is all you need to fly a big inflatable in a safe manner.

Maybe I can photocopy the etiquette page of the August 2008 issue of the kiteboarder magazine and post it along the beach the next time I'm up in Alameda. I think I'll need permission from Marina to do that, you think she will give me a pdf copy of that page so I can run it through my printer?

If Alameda gets black balled on summer weekends, now that would really suck.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Well here we go..

rey rivera
thing's might get a little worse before they get better

it's July the winds will get worse in alameda...but
more new bee's will show up packing gear without a clue

also now that every one's launching anywhere they want
and only a small handful of kilter's drag out of the swimming Zone
your gonna see Alameda like never before
you got Max's launch and further down wind you got yuri's launch
then you got new bee's launching anywhere between

what o what Can we do...?
and ya that shi* going on down
in HB
i hope this dose not come up here. . . .
http://forums.ikitesurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=10821

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Re: Alameda - Safety Reminder

Post by maxsteamer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 am

Hello Rey,

Thank You Sooo much for all you do for your fellow kiters!! I can,t see very well any more at 61 years, and when my new specs get wet I'm back to 20/40 and you always keep an eye on me when your around, and I know you have missed alot of sessions helping fellow kiters when they have blown a launch or lost there board.

I know when you show up at Shellgate you work very hard to keep this spot safe, now that you have takin' your kiting skills to the waves, you are not here as much any more and all of the "Shellgaters" that you have helped over the years, thanks you for all your ideas to keep us all safe. you have a big heart and your stoke is unmatched.
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: Alameda - Safety Reminder

Post by reyrivera » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:40 am

Dude, after my first season of riding Scott Creek last year, mostly by my lonesome, I still have the newbie sensation of excitement and tingling on my stomach every time I rig and ride on the coast. Since almost everyone at the coast at Scott or Waddell is ten times better than me, I try to ride unnoticed and keep out of the way, have not had a nasty kitemare that I could not handle yet.