So I'm going to buy a trainer kite...

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:31 pm

No problem... I use this kite for teaching and for kite skateboarding... Fun kite for land use.... One of these days though... you will see me out riding it on the water.... A personal goal... I suspect I will need 25mph though...

Andy

Urge4Vert
Joey
Joey

Post by Urge4Vert » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:31 pm

So, I'm also looking to buy a trainer kite. But I'd really like to not drive to Alameda. Can anyone recommend the closest place to Cupertino to buy a goo d training kite? I'm planning on heading up to the Gorge the end of July and would like to take a lesson there to get some time on the water. So I figure if I get a training kite now and spend a lot of time with it in the next month I should be decently prepared.

Thanks

Kevin

robertovillate
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robertovillate » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:39 am

I'm an instructor and I have used all sorts of trainer kites.

but my favorite is the HQ Beamer 3.6m (best quality, complete with leash with QR, relaunch bridal, fixed loop with QR, video, super nice construction, flys great, nice bag)

I think having a trainer is an excellent idea and it will help you sharpen your kite skills long after the lesson. If you can get a kite before your lesson that will also let you get a whole lot more out of the lesson, although you can still get a good lesson without owning a trainer kite.

I have been doing this (kiting) for 5+ years and every once in a while I fly my trainer kite just for the fun of it. They are also great if you ever plan on snowkiting, or buggying.

contact Jeff at www.kitemare.com

tell him I sent you

good luck and be safe. The trainer kite can generate a ton of power, so start in lighter/steadier winds, around 10 knots with a lot of open space down wind, and do not hook in until you have good kite control. If it starts to pull you too hard just LET GO of the bar immediately (make sure your leash is attached and know how to use the leash QR as well).

If you are interested in a good used trainer I have several for sale. 2 Newtech 3.6's (with or without relaunch bridle) and HQ 2.5 Rush. send me a private message with your email address if interested. Thanks
Roberto Villate
PASA Kiteboarding Instructor
cel 847.477.2976 (after 7PM is best - or leave a message)
http://kitemare.com/roberto_villate.htm

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:13 pm

Kitewindsurf ships, but it still local if you run into any problems that you need help with
Urge4Vert wrote:So, I'm also looking to buy a trainer kite. But I'd really like to not drive to Alameda. Can anyone recommend the closest place to Cupertino to buy a goo d training kite? I'm planning on heading up to the Gorge the end of July and would like to take a lesson there to get some time on the water. So I figure if I get a training kite now and spend a lot of time with it in the next month I should be decently prepared.

Thanks

Kevin