A big cheer for KWS

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
busski
Contributor
Contributor
A big cheer for KWS

Post by busski » Tue May 09, 2006 9:43 am

Just had my water lesson at KiteWindSurf in Alameda (www.kitewindsurf.com). I can't say enough about how great everyone there has been.

First off, I've had knee problems the last couple of months, and they were very patient with my on again, off again scheduling due to Doctor's orders.

Second, Everyone there is always smiling, happy, and willing to share free food, which endears them to me greatly.

Third, I had my water lesson with Jeff yesterday, and i'm impressed with a couple of things. Let's call this subsection A of my cheers for KWS.

A) 4 stroke jet skis: I'm a lifelong sailor, and generallly can't stand the buzzing insects that are jet skis. The Honda 4 strokes that KWS use are quiet, environmentally much less of a disaster then 2 strokers (ie. a two stroke jet ski will pump as much pollution into the environment in 1 hour as a plain jane honda civic (non-hybrid) will pump out in 20,000 miles of driving).

B) Jeff's ability to explain concepts in ways that translate very easily into actions is fantastic.

C) I was definitely flopping around like a moron for a while, and getting myself pretty tensed up trying to figure out how to keep myself from trying to swim against the kite, relax my body, and slow myself down. Jeff was very good at saying a couple of words to remind me to pay attention, not fight the kite or the board, and generally helped me just get into the flow of things. I can't say enough for how much this attitude (let's call it Jeff's soothing attitude) made the whole experience not only more fun, but infinitely easier.

D) Jeff let me downwind from Hunter's Point, almost all the way to Alameda. A cross-the-bay journey has been one of those ideas that I've been thinking about ever since I started watching kiters at Crissy. To have it happen my first day was absolutely fantastic.

E) Jeff kicking back and letting me practice (over and over) after explaining how to do things was great. I've had lessons for new sports (say telemarking) where the instructor spends the whole lesson time telling me to move from one thing to the next, leaving me feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to focus on. Jeff managed to give me enough time to figure out what I was doing without rushing things.

So thanks to everyone at KWS. I'm going to be baking up a cookie storm this weekend to drop off at the shop because I've never been so happy after spending so much of my hard earned cash in such a short period of time. If you get tired from kiting at Crown this weekend, head over there and I'm sure they'll be willing to share.

Looking forward to being at the beach as soon as my sore body recovers (I have soreness in places I didn't know I have muscles).

-C

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Re: A big cheer for KWS

Post by andyandmarlys » Tue May 09, 2006 8:43 pm

busski wrote:So thanks to everyone at KWS. I'm going to be baking up a cookie storm this weekend to drop off at the shop because I've never been so happy after spending so much of my hard earned cash in such a short period of time. If you get tired from kiting at Crown this weekend, head over there and I'm sure they'll be willing to share.

-C
I am so excited about the Cookies... I was out yesteday about a mile upwind of you teaching my lesson..(I watched you from afar as you learned on the 12m SB). Awesome experience doing a 6 mile downwinder with your student. I am sure you are sore from learning so much so fast.... When I started out, it took me a month before I was able to get up on a board and ride.... Plus tons of walking...

I'll be in Saturday teaching lessons, and will definately appreciate the cookies.

Andy

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Fri May 12, 2006 5:39 pm

I will not be teaching on Saturday.
But I think I might just stop in to check the coo err schedule!

busski
Contributor
Contributor

Post by busski » Sat May 13, 2006 5:58 pm

cookies now in at KWS. I brought by some double cholocale browines, chocolate caramel browines, and some chocolate chip cookies enjoy all. Wind is whipping out there too, in case anyone is on the fence.

-c-

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sat May 13, 2006 8:26 pm

Mmmm they were great.... All gone already..

Thanks so much..

Andy