Female Northern California beginner looking to mooch

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:19 pm

Umm, not always. When you mis-land a kiteloop and are still pulling on one side of the bar in high winds and get horizontally yarded at the rate of somewhere between 30-50 feet per loop faster than you can think, not knowing what the hell your kites doing and heading toward the low-tide rocks that run out to the flag at Alameda it doesn't seem so much like a toy... It actually ends up being something you're still thinking about the next day and really, really happy you were able to pull it together in time.

Lesson learned - deny complacency and maintain a *big* upwind buffer from hard objects. If things go bad, you will cover way more ground than you think you will, faster than you think you will and not have the control you think you will...

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:26 am

haha ollie it was sarcasm,

but yea kiteloops are one of those moves i tend to practice at the end of my session after i know i've gotten everything else out of the way, because it can be a season ender.

I still have some ankle and knee issues from trying to land a lot of hot loops. i've since cooled down, haha.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:57 pm

Yeah, and looping your kite on land really hurts,. too. Last year I was self-launching and my line hooked on a weed, powering the kite into loops and dragging me like 500 ft. and bouncing me off the ground several times. Good thing I was unconscious for most of it. :roll:

Ollie, did you recover control of the kite, or did you have to pull your safety?
Paul

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:24 am

BayAreaKite wrote:Umm, not always. When you mis-land a kiteloop and are still pulling on one side of the bar in high winds and get horizontally yarded at the rate of somewhere between 30-50 feet per loop faster than you can think, not knowing what the hell your kites doing and heading toward the low-tide rocks that run out to the flag at Alameda it doesn't seem so much like a toy... It actually ends up being something you're still thinking about the next day and really, really happy you were able to pull it together in time.

Lesson learned - deny complacency and maintain a *big* upwind buffer from hard objects. If things go bad, you will cover way more ground than you think you will, faster than you think you will and not have the control you think you will...
Ollie I saw you do that. It looked like you were skipping on the water until you stopped. Then we realized that you were only in a few inches of water. Didn't you say that you were going to kite far out last year to?? I think that was the topic of conversation on the beach just before you got yarded in the shallows. Two full loops in six inches of h2o!!! Your superman. I'll have to let you try on my vest next time. Maybe you could get one with a big S on the front.

Anyway your always fun to watch.
Dewey

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:14 am

My pump is broken, well the tube is. I think it got smashed in the car or something (lesson learned). So it looks like I can replace just that part or even cut it. I say cut it because the hole is near the end and there is a hard plastic thing that helps it connect to the pump --but I think that hard plastic thing is glued on. HELP. Should I just buy a new tube, or keep trying to get the plastic thing off. Can I buy a new tube?

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:21 am

What brand pump is it?
Paul

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:01 am

or can you tape it up...
charlie

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:54 pm

Snacks wrote:My pump is broken, well the tube is. I think it got smashed in the car or something (lesson learned). So it looks like I can replace just that part or even cut it. I say cut it because the hole is near the end and there is a hard plastic thing that helps it connect to the pump --but I think that hard plastic thing is glued on. HELP. Should I just buy a new tube, or keep trying to get the plastic thing off. Can I buy a new tube?
pull off and glue

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:28 pm

I believe you got lucky... Pauly has written all about how EXTREMELY DANGEROUS "hand pumping" is. Did you feel it, in you lower back?? Be carefull!!, Numerous soft tissue injuries have happened due to manually pumping traction kites. Besides if your a girl, some dumb guy will pump it for you. Use your head women, you dont need no stinking pump...
:rolleyes:
L.M.G.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:42 pm

There's only one girl I would pump a kite for and she doesn't wanna be pumped.