snow kites

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:26 am

Is that the ticket? Snowshoes + snowboard + kite? I got 'em all but that hike sounds brutal. I don't think I'm a skins 'n skis kinda guy though.

Cocktails at the SFYC at 8?
Go bigga'

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:00 pm

fearlu wrote:Is that the ticket? Snowshoes + snowboard + kite? I got 'em all but that hike sounds brutal. I don't think I'm a skins 'n skis kinda guy though.

Cocktails at the SFYC at 8?
No...it's just one of the best spots...you've go tto earn the good stuff just like back country snowboarding. The hike is not usually this tough. When there is more snow, it is only about half the distance. You just have to get above the tree line. Snow shoes would have made the kife pleasant. I think you could have done it with snowshoes D. Post-holeing to your waist on every step will suck the life out of you.

I am packing th evan and leaving now. I'll see you tonight?
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:40 pm

Hey, have fun at the party tonight. Hope you guys get some good winds this weekend/week. I'll try and tough it out here on Kauai as best as I can. ;)

ollie

EmilyE

Post by EmilyE » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:48 pm

Try www.pegaskites.com They're new this year and great kites at an inexpensive price

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:39 pm

EmilyE wrote:Try www.pegaskites.com They're new this year and great kites at an inexpensive price
EmilyE,

I appreciate the link and the info. I looked up the prices and have to disagree about the inexpensive. If i was paying $730 for a complete 5.0 banshee or $710 for complete 5.0 chimara i would just go and get an Ozone. The price doesn't really justify inexpensive in my opinion.

Blair

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:08 pm

So Gabe,

Do you mainly use your inflatable kite when snowkiting? And do you recommend that if...say I have a pretty well used 8 m kite?

Also, did you rig your inflatable 12 with a 5th line for a relaunch?

Thanx.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:26 am

Anonymous wrote:So Gabe,

Do you mainly use your inflatable kite when snowkiting? And do you recommend that if...say I have a pretty well used 8 m kite?

Also, did you rig your inflatable 12 with a 5th line for a relaunch?

Thanx.
I have been using my inflateables. I am waiting for my Ozones to get here. I rigged a 5th line for a few sessions but found that the extra rigging and derigging time was probably higher than having to relaunch a couple times without the 5th.

The best relaunch for inflateables that I have seen are probably the Slingshot 2005 Diesle/Fuel or the Cabrinha Recon with the Slingy being the strongest.
Gabe Brown

zgur
Resident
Resident

is relaunch an issue

Post by zgur » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:14 pm

Do you drop the kite more often in z snow???

I was in tahoe this weekend, North, and got some sick pow turns to feed the adrenaline addiction. Can't wait to kite on the frozen liquid.

Good wind + waves, Z.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: is relaunch an issue

Post by KillaHz » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:59 pm

zgur wrote:Do you drop the kite more often in z snow???

I was in tahoe this weekend, North, and got some sick pow turns to feed the adrenaline addiction. Can't wait to kite on the frozen liquid.

Good wind + waves, Z.
I'd say in the beginning you probably drop your kite more in the snow. More accureatly, you drop it a lot in Tahoe. Some days are steady wind, most are pretty rangey. You get use to dropping your kite on it's back though and that is a simple relaunch.

Z -- I was in the bay chasing surf and wind all weekend. Missed the dump but got home last night to some deep stuff. It's windy all week...dusted us a little more today...snowkiting should be good all the way through next weekend.
Gabe Brown

Denny
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Denny » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:43 am

If you like the Slingshot traction kites, there's a B-8 for sale used for $350 at http://www.kiteworld.net/used-kiteboarding.shtml.

Actually, the Leading Edge Inflatable kites can be used very successfully on the snow too. Especially with the reverse-launching capabilities that a lot of the newer kites are coming out with. The Slingshot '05 Fuel has a sleek system called All Terrain Launch that is sold as an aftermarket deal. It seems to be the cleanest integration that I've seen on an LEI kite.

There's a guy named Gabe Shortman that does some sick kiting on sandy beaches using a mountainboard. There's video of him jumping over a van, board off tricks and more (He's got a personal website somewhere, I also found some pictures at http://www.pbase.com/robv/sports, or we've got the videos on http://www.kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-video.shtml). The point being, he uses Naish LEI kites. I think that he originally started on traction kites, but has decided that he likes the LEI kites better - even on land.

I know there's varying opinions out there, and everyone has a good reason. I wouldn't totaly discredit LEI kites for snowkiting though. Especially if you don't have the $$$ to buy a separate quiver for snow and water.