snow kites

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
snow kites

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:17 pm

Been looking around the net for cheap yet quality traction kites for the winter.
Anyone have any recommendations? Haven't been having much luck on bay area, e-bay, ikitesurf, etc.
I've found several companies that are selling new kites for slighly more than i've seen used kites for sale. Is newer better. I've heard some ram airs are now water relaunchable, have sheeting systems etc ???
finally I'm wondering what works better. Bars or Handles. I can see benefits and drawbacks to each. Is it possible to "hook in" to handles... can yuh ghetto rig something.
Thanks for all the ideas

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:00 pm

Ghetto rig? Fo'shizzle m'nizzle. OG's say bar, canyouhandlit?

Knowatimsayin? 8)
Go bigga'

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:17 pm

Basically the problem with tubes on sonw is the relaunch.

If you want to have something which is ideal for sonw AND water take a Flysurfer kite. They are not so expensive used here in the US (look at ikite). The drawback is, that you will like to have a not to big one for the winter (7 or 9 ) but a huge for the summer( 13 or 17 depending where you plan to go out). Take the Titan, Voodoo or Psycho2 as they are really stable in the air (new cut). They are designed to use with a bar and relauch also in water way better than a tube as you can relaunch them just backwards up.

If you buy an open cell kite use handles as you can controll the kites way better. The hard but really powerfull kites are Blade 2 or 3. Dont buy them bigger than 5sqm for snow. You can barely use them on water as they have no relaunch.

Hope that helped, Knyfe

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:28 am

Hey guest,
I'm interested in snow kiting also. I was wondering if you could pass along those sites you found where the new kites were just a little more than used kites.

thanks,

Blair

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:37 pm

One is the beamer 7.0 meter. only 379$ http://www.cobrakite.com/beamer.html

Another is the PKD 7 meter 385$ http://www.indianakites.com/index.php?f ... sPKDBuster they also have some other kites on this site that seem ok. I've heard the bego 600 is super powerful

I think I've also seen a "hanging loop" to "hook-in" connecting the 2 handles? Do they have these?

I guess im just confused about the difference between bars and handles, It seems if you can hook into handles then they would have much more versatility, also, why the price difference is so much between name brands (like the ozones are around $800).
Would that nice cheap 7meter beamer or pkd work just fine? I notice the shape of the kites are slightly different, but wonder what they will really effect.

Montanakitesports

Kites are Cheaper in Montana!

Post by Montanakitesports » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:28 am

If you are interested I cut very nice deals on both Ozone and Slingshot kites pre season or with Snowkiting lessons etc. Drop me a line at montanakitesports@yahoo.com or check out my website at http://www.montanakitesports.com for some pics etc.

Keith

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Who Knows?

Post by RobsterCraw » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:05 pm

Has anyone actually gone snowkiting? Are there any good spots in cali?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

It's dumping!

Post by fearlu » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:44 am

Gabe,
Are you going snow-kiting today? Up to 4' of fresh I hear. Where do you normally snow-kite? I heard that meadow on the way to the 'Wood is good. I am anxious to give this a go. You got extra foilers in the fat-guy size? I've been snowbarding since '88 so I think I may be able to do it now that I have some kite skills. I'll buy the beer for a guided tour if you're willing to show me the ropes. Maybe you should sponsor a Sherman Crew demo day and we can PARTY like the Canadian Snowboard Team!
Go bigga'

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: It's dumping!

Post by KillaHz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:55 am

fearlu wrote:Gabe,
Are you going snow-kiting today? Up to 4' of fresh I hear. Where do you normally snow-kite? I heard that meadow on the way to the 'Wood is good. I am anxious to give this a go. You got extra foilers in the fat-guy size? I've been snowbarding since '88 so I think I may be able to do it now that I have some kite skills. I'll buy the beer for a guided tour if you're willing to show me the ropes. Maybe you should sponsor a Sherman Crew demo day and we can PARTY like the Canadian Snowboard Team!
Yeah, there's over a foot of fresh in my driveway and it's still dumping. I've got a bit of a chest cold but if the wind picks up this afternoon (as is forcasted) and I can breathe (taking prednisone which is starting to kick in) I will be out there at on eof two different spots. Reagen Meadow right next to the lake or Grass Lake which is on the way to Kirkwood at the top of 89.

The demo is a great idea. I'm owrking with a couple of the resorts up here to really blow it up this year. Trying to get some of the kite companies involved as well. Maybe we should start a poll to see how many would be interested. If I could show some interest in the idea, I could probably get a few manufacturers up here to demo and we could get our terrain park set up.

I'll give you the scoop after I ride today.

Gabe
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:21 pm

so, killahz... if i were to go snowkiting in tahoe, and i were to buy a frenzy ozone 05, what size kite would you recommend? is 7m a good size for "average" conditions?