Snow kite sizes

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
josha
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Snow kite sizes

Post by josha » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:07 pm

I'm looking to try snowkiting this season (having become completely addicted to kiteboarding this year), and I'm strongly thinking about getting an Ozone Frenzy (esp trying to find an 06 on clearance) based on word of mouth and various reviews. I'm conflicted about sizes, though. I weigh ~140 lbs, and I've heard everything from "get a 3 and 7, 3 first" to "a 9 is all you'd ever want for kiting in Tahoe." I figure I will mainly be kiting in Tahoe (although I'll be in Vail for a week in December and wouldn't mind trying there), and I plan on using my skiboards (100cm, twin-tipped skis) at first. Any recs?

thanks!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:49 pm

Hey Josha,

Most people are buying the 7.5m Frenzy as their first size and then get either the 10m or 12m as their second size. My first snowkite was a 7m '05 Fenzy and I weigh 150lbs. For Tahoe you'll truely need 2 kites to cover all the wind ranges, however, if your just starting out, the smaller size is better.

If you have already been water kiting then handling the 7.5m is not going to be a problem... you can trim it down to the power of a 4m. This year the smallest size for the Frenzy is a 7.5m. Last year there was a 5m, but it wasn't a popular size. With a sub 6m kite in Tahoe you will find that most of the time you will be "mowing the lawn" as far as how much speed you'll attain. Only if it's nuking will you want anything smaller than a 5m... and in Tahoe when the wind is that strong it can be scary.

I had more days in Tahoe on my 10m than anything else. Consider the 7.5m first or maybe an Ozone Access 6m. I have a brand new '06 Frenzy 7.5m for sale if your interested.

FYI- Weight does not have as much baring on snowkite sizes. I believe this is due to the fact that a water kite has to generate enough power to keep you from sinking (especially during water starts). A snowkite just needs to power you accross the snow and doesn't need to rely on a certain size for your weight to keep you afloat ... you are already on the surface of the snow. You just need the right sizes for the wind you will encounter.

tms1
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tms1 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:07 am

I used a 6m Access the entire season in Tahoe last year and was never underpowered. Though, I would recommend the 8m access for a more all around kite that you can use anywhere.