Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Saturday: Mostly cloudy and brisk with snow and rain likely. Snow level 7000 feet lowering to lake level. Snow accumulations up to 6 inches above 7000 feet...with up to 2 inches at lake level. Highs 41 to 51. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 50 mph decreasing to 35 mph in the afternoon. Over ridges...gusts up to 105 mph decreasing to 90 mph in the afternoon.
I'm going to Truckee tonight, and hopefully will be snowkiting Saturday. Plan on going to Martis Meadows, but might try going up to Mt Rose if conditions allow.
If I'm reading the current forecasts correctly, looks like it might be wet down low and nuking up high.
If anyone is going to be in the area, and want to get together send me a PM.
I didn't get up skiing today, but it's likely to be a mixed bag based on the weather the last few days. Earlier in the week snow levels were around 8000 ft, Friday it was warm, 54F, in Truckee, and today it was colder with snow levels right around 6600 ft. I'd stay high for the best snow or stick to the groomers.
If you want to get an idea of winds and temps at the upper elevations in Tahoe, check out the NWS remote sensors page: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/remotedata/index.php.
For reference, the peak elevation of Slide Mountain is about 1000 ft higher than the Mt Rose Meadows, and about a mile or two east.
The Sierra Crest sensor is located at the patrol shack at the top of Squaw's Siberia lift.
I believe that the Ward Mountain sensor is at Alpine. Based on the elevation, it's probably near the microwave towers on the peak just above the Alpine Bowl double.
For Martis Valley, Truckee airport automated reports can be found at: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KTRK.html
Saturday morning my wife and friend went to Northstar. I didn't bother since it was raining all night. My friend ended up forgetting his boots and came back (good thing, my wife took a misc bag with my gloves and everything, had I been planing on going elsewhere).
Got bored of sitting around the house, and we went out seeking adventure. The weather had seemed to clear up a bit.
Drove past Martis. There was no snow at all. Went past Northstar but 267 had chain requirements and it wasn't worth it, so we went back and ended up driving to Reno.
Gambled for a bit and had lunch, then decided to drive to Mt Rose just to check it out. It was super windy in Reno walking back to the car.
Finally found the Mt Rose area. Checked it out for a bit. Brought the trainer and 7. There were two guys out, one on an Access 6, and another with like an SS trainer or something. Flew our trainer for a bit, got pulled with it, but it wasn't working too well. I put up a 7 frenzy, and was riding for maybe 45 minutes. The wind was really gusty, was riding ok, and then the wind would shut off.
After the wind shut down and kite went down again, and decided to pack it up. Afterwards Kathryn wanted to fly the trainer, so I set it up, and the wind picked up again. Kathryn did a couple unintended body drags and called it quits.
I talked to Dave from Tahoe Mountain Sports on our way out, and he said that the wind conditions were pretty normal, and that it was much more windy earlier in the day.
Looking at the mountains above the meadows, you could see snow getting blown off. Got a couple pictures where you could see it happening. The snow conditions were nice, wind packed but forgiving.
We were downhilling at Alpine on Sunday, which was actually pretty good if you paid really close attention to sunshine and aspect (stay in the shade in the morning; by 2 pm the sunny spots were soft enough to ski). Higher up there was plenty of nice snow on top of the crusty, rained on stuff, but there were also lots of wind-blown ice spots on the ridges.
The wind was blowing steady at ridgetops and I"m sure it would have been a good day to hit Red Lakes Ridge or similar spot. Down low it was calm.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest