Snowkiting Comes To California

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Snowkiting Comes To California

Post by kitewing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 am

I was there too. Pretty good conditions on Sunday. There's pretty much nothing in terms of facilities, you are essentially paying an entrance fee, which does seem pretty lame.

That said, it's probably the closest legitimate snow-kiting spot to the Bay Area, so I'd certainly consider going again. It was fun!
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

WindMuch
Site CoAdmin
Site CoAdmin

Post by WindMuch » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Hey All,

Mark ("Yoda" here on BAK) and I rode at Sierra Snowkite Center today. It was my first time kiting in the snow. Mark and Tyler (the guy who's running the program up there in conjunction with Sugar Bowl and Royal Gorge) were kind enough to give some great and very helpful pointers (i.e. how to anchor your kite on a slippery surface, etc.). We saw several familiar faces from Sherman and Alameda and had a great time.

The entrance fee of $27 is actually the price of a Royal Gorge day use trail pass. The trail from the parking lot to the meadow was groomed and they provide littles sleds to haul all your kites and gear. I believe you can kite for free if you have a Sugar Bowl ticket (i.e. after the lifts close).

Tyler (Brown) is super kind and charismatic. He's helpful without being overbearing or territorial. There was nothing but a welcoming smile and gentle guidance when it was asked for. His vibe actually made the day what it was for me. If you haven't kited on snow, in my opinion, this is a great place to get some!

Mark cruising:
IMG_3930.jpg
IMG_3930.jpg (2.54MiB)Viewed 8518 times
If you look carefully to the left of the blue kite, Tyler (in a green jacket) is catching air
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg (90.06KiB)Viewed 8518 times
IMG_3924.jpg
IMG_3924.jpg (2.24MiB)Viewed 8518 times

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 am

Looks like I have to throw a kite or two and a harness in the back when I head up there now :mrgreen:
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 pm

This weekend is setting up to be good for the Ladies Weekend Kite event...
http://www.sierrasnowkite.com/events/

With the few inches that we just received the terrain might be awesome... and soft.;-)