Stinson Sunday?

Local weather resources and topics.
Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:53 pm

OB was good for a while, then it was not..

mfremont
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mfremont » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:09 pm

Gabe's call for Bodega/Doran would have been a better bet.
Bummer that Stinson didn't work out.

I made the longer drive to Doran and met up with Sandy, Donny, and Art. There were 3 or 4 other kiters and a few windsurfers out, too. Wind stayed strong all afternoon. The notes for the ikitesurf Bodega sensor mention that it reads 5-10kts low on SE wind, and that seems about right based on conditions on Sunday.

I would have spent more time actually riding if I had just stuck with my twin tip instead of trying to figure out how to ride a directional *and* get out past the shore break in direct onshore wind. I still have a lot to learn about riding on on the coast!

After struggling in the shore break, I realize that I should have followedGabe's suggestion of launching from the tip of the beach. With a SE wind and the way the beach curves, the wind would have more of a sideshore component than near the mid point of the beach where I launched. I would also make for a quicker trip out into the larger swells in the bay.

If you do make the drive, make sure you have at least $1.50 in quarters to feed the shower!