Heat wave coming

Local weather resources and topics.
wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:28 pm

quote Windhorny: "And heres another question for the regulars. 3 people past by me as i was stopped to pay my fee at the gate. How many people feel they are too good to not help maintain their own kitopia? Is there something i don't know about where that money goes? Maybe the little shits use it for beer money."

Maybe they have the annual pass.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:15 pm

I didnt know there was an anual pass. Where do you get one? Yes that might make sense wouldnt it ? :)

So Paul, was I not doing my kiteloops well enough for you today? Vegas' rule! Rhino is greatness, Vegas is Sweetness! That was my first time on the 07 vegas and i am getting one!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:15 am

BayAreaKite wrote:I had a playful discussion with a kiter friend at Sherman this weekend about what exactly constitutes a sherman local. Is it if you live nearby and only kite there and no where else, is it if you live there in a trailer on weekends throughout the season, etc. Ultimately we, and others, agreed that no one, other than Bob and Mina who are there year round, rain or shine, windy or not, is really a "local". Do you live there? Does your PG&E biull get sent to you at Sherman Island in the park? Is that where you get your mail? It's a county park, all you need to do is pay your day use fee or get your annual pass and you're in.

With that said, if people come to Sherman to kite who generally don't kite there often, all they need to do is be an intermediate to advanced kiter, be safe, follow the rules and show others respect. Roll up your lines, stack your kites, give right of way when needed and make friends. Kiting is an inclusive sport, don't make it an exclusive sport by making statements that make it sound like you have any more right to it than anyone else. Everyone who kites at Sherman has been a "tourist" at one point too, and some have been more recent than others. Build community, don't separate it.
Ollie I don't think that the term local means the same thing in kiting as it does in surfing. I do think every beach has it's core group (three years ago I was just known as the Monday Guy). I haven't seen any "locals" limiting anyone kiting, but now that EVERONE is launching from the back it's getting dangerous. I think the "locals" are the one's that need to point out that the back needs to be a hot launch to keep your kite from doing cartwheels, and tell newb's that the 16m might be a bit too much kite (or yesterday a 12m). If I go to a new spot I hope they would have a group of locals to point out the peticulars of that spot.
Sherman needs it's locals, just like Berekely needs it's locals. I agree it's not a exclusive sport.

Cheers,
Dewey
Dewey

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:25 am

nicely put dewey
and monkey see MoNkEy do..
and if you kite a beach for a couple years..
you become a "local"
Ie..... you know the conditions.
Narly1

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:09 am

Back to the subject of "Heat Wave" Boy was that wrong!!!
Last week was one of the windiest weeks in memory... and one of the coolest in Sacramento... Hope we have another "Heat Wave" this week..
Rich "ATOM" Baum

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:16 am

It's easy to get spoiled when we get such good winds. I wanted to keep flying my 7m, and reluctantly pumped up my 9m when needed. 8 days since the Friday before last and only flew the 10.5 once I think, the rest of time time on the 7 and 9. A solid 30mph with higher gusts Saturday afternoon was insane bliss on the water!

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 am

It has been pretty spectacular up there.

All Sherman needs is for someone to actually put some real footstraps over those "feet" outlines drawn on the bathroom floors. I've taken some pretty mighty dumps up there, and i can only imagine those would help work it out.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:26 am

Jeez Uri.
Go bigga'

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:39 pm

I know, I can't do anything right.

:(

Yuri

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:00 pm

How about SI "regulars"? When I go someplace I haven't kited before, I always hope there are going to be "regulars" or "locals" there to give me the lowdown on the wind, the launch, etc. Most places I've been, people really seem to appreciate you asking questions before you launch.

When I went to Waddell, or Jalama, I considered myself a kiter "tourist". I think when people come to SI for a holiday weekend and have never kited there, it's fair to call them tourists... Yesterday there when I lauunched there was a guy playing with his kids on the beach, with his kite in the air(!). Apparently, he'd been there for 10 minutes or so and had been asked nicely to land his kite, so I thought WWCD (what would Charlie do) and yelled at him to land his kite or get on the damn water. If he had been doing that and someone got lofted like Dewey did the other day, a whole bunch of people would have gotten hurt, including his own kids.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.