Heat wave coming

Local weather resources and topics.
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:20 pm

Maybe 5-6 weeks ago I was distracted maybe by good winds or new kites or whatever and I left a kite in the launch not too neatly stacked away and I got some grief for it, but I was in the wrong, so it was deserved!

I've been making sure to not roll out my lines until I'm totally ready to go and always roll up my lines every time I come in and stack my kite as far to the edge as possible. Did you know that you can fit 12 kites into the same space as two if you take a moment to stack them? Pulling them out only takes a second... About the other stuff; the thing is that this community, once you start kiting for a bit, is very tight and people come from all over to kite at Sherman during the season and tons of people know each other and it's awesome. I've made more cool friends thorugh kiting in the Bay Area than anything else. Some people don't make it there often but when they do, most people know the rules and as far as those who don't, it's easy to teach them. Some people do stupid or dangerous stuff, so yelling is OK sometimes too... Most of the time they just don't know, right?

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Ditto, Ollie.

I got yelled at at OB today by a guy for not knowing that it was okay to "walk my lines" out from under his after he laid his lines out on top of mine. I kept telling the guy that I would never lay my lines ontop of someone else's while I was rigging, but he kept asking me if I really knew how to kite. WTF?

It's a pretty big beach there, I still don't understand why he thought it was okay to drape his lines over mine. I guess I ran my lines the wrong direction or something. Like it matters at OB.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by airess » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:12 am

well,here's the deal, kiteboarding is dangerous, launching and landing being the most dangerous part. when launching you really need to assess the launch: how clean is the wind, what kind of obstacles will affect the wind possibly making it turbulent, what kind of obstacles may be in your way, etc. sherman island is not a wide open beach with plenty of room to make mistakes or plenty of clean wind. it has a small man-made hole in the berry bushes at the front launch, and then behind a whole bunch of bushes a deceivingly(ollie, help me with the spelling on this one) wide open are with about 10ft diameter of actual good wind. so, when everbody starts laying shit all over, even when it is stacked neatly, we force people to launch in less than ideal conditions. not to mention that it is just plain rude to leave your kites laying in the middle of the launch while you eat lunch. i really don't know why we need to tell people that, it seems like common courtesy. ollie, i'll give you some slack because i know you need a little more help with your lines.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:40 am

Rita, you must be working nights. Someone coulda died while you were posting that!
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by airess » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:48 pm

paul, i get 6 minutes till brain death. besides, it's much safer to be one of my patients than to launch at Sherman Island on a weekend!