Spring

Local weather resources and topics.
zgur
Resident
Resident
Spring

Post by zgur » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:15 pm

So has anyone observed that this has been one of the BEST springs for kiting, since a long time.....wind almost every day, in many locations......lots of sore hands and small kites flying. Don't want to jinx it, but man, it's been rocking. It has been really, really good.

Oh yes, if you care, tomorow is going to rock....."AND THE NAM INDICATES ONSHORE FLOW TOMORROW AFTERNOON WILL BE SIMILAR
IN MAGNITUDE TO TODAY..." North of the gate, things will get funky, south of the gate, good times and smiles....

Get some, Z.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:40 am

Z, you are correct at least regarding Sherman Island. I can't remember a better March leading into April in the past 10 years..

I will be bringing the camper down around May 4th and hope this fantastic wind holds up till the end of the season (though one can never really tell)

Hope you get out and get it today, yesterday looked great! Too bad I got a new thing called a regular job (oh yah, got those pesky kids too)
Rich "ATOM" Baum

zgur
Resident
Resident

holly macro

Post by zgur » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:33 pm

i must have fallen asleep and woke up in a dream.........

...this cycle of killer weather, from a kiter pt. of view, just keeps repeating.......a few days of wind, a down day, a few sprinkles and then a 3 days of epic conditions again.......and again, and again............sweeeeeeettttttt!!!!!!!!

friday, a bit mellow, good time to rest, get work done....
saturday, rainy, great time to knock out honey do/spend time w/loved ones, make sure your gear is all ready and problem free........
sunday - back in the saddle with a 9m, and other treats for the big kids.....
monday - repeat...............

It's like a groundhog day, where the same thing happens, but in this case, it's really great.......wow.

Get some, Z.

gideonlow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Spring

Post by gideonlow » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 am

zgur wrote:So has anyone observed that this has been one of the BEST springs for kiting, since a long time.....wind almost every day, in many locations......lots of sore hands and small kites flying. Don't want to jinx it, but man, it's been rocking. It has been really, really good.

Oh yes, if you care, tomorow is going to rock....."AND THE NAM INDICATES ONSHORE FLOW TOMORROW AFTERNOON WILL BE SIMILAR
IN MAGNITUDE TO TODAY..." North of the gate, things will get funky, south of the gate, good times and smiles....

Get some, Z.
Spring only? I swear I've been averaging four days a week since Jan 1st! Only one epic powder day this year, but day after day after day after day of epic conditions on the coast. We've even been getting early south-hemi swells on top of all the wind. Let's hope it lasts!!!

Quite a contrast to last year . . . . mostly all pow in Tahoe and zilch for wind until late May.

Cheers,

Gideon

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:27 am

i see its gonna rain again saterday...!
Narly1

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:11 am

I have the hall pass this weekend.

I need to be on Sherman Island to mow the sign but plan on staying Sat. night and can ride Sunday.

Of all our area, where do you think would be the best call for Sat. afternoon and Sunday?

I would like to hit the demo at Alameda on Sunday but would rather get a great day in where ever it's best.
Rich "ATOM" Baum

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:25 am

The Delta might blow Saturday night but it will all be post-frontal. Sunday and Monday might be better at Folsom than the Delta (NW,N)

The coast will be nukin' on Sunday, maybe even stronger than yesterday. It sounds like clearing winds will be strong enough to maybe hit the Bay; I guess lots of folks got some at Alameda yesterday.

I'm going to hit the coast and bring my 6M kite this time.

BTW, Z, if you look at the long-term forecast, the pattern is set to keep repeating for at least the next 10 days, exactly as you outlined it.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:33 pm

Is Alameda any good if the winds are North? I was told it can be Side off.
I was also told 3rd was ok too.

So what's the lowdown...

Thanks
Rich "ATOM" Baum

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:56 pm

Alameda is great on NW clearing winds in the Spring. Yesterday was good on a 12, but the day before was very good. I was out for almost 2 1/2 hours well-powered on an 8m kite. Woohoo.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:38 pm

North or Northwest, that is the question. Right now, the forecasters seem to be having a hard time deciding which of those two directions the wind will blow inside the bay on Sunday.

NWS Marine says NW, but Oakland NWS says N. Bay doesn't blow when the wind has too much north in it.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.